Uganda rebels deny mass killings in north-east DRC

One of Africa’s most brutal rebel groups, Uganda’s Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), said on Monday a report that its members killed hundreds of villagers in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) late last year was fabricated.

In a report, the United States-based Human Rights Watch said 321 people were massacred in a killing spree that took place in villages in DRC’s remote north-east in December. The report was backed by the United Nations.

“These claims of massacres coming almost four months late are yet another fabrication by NGOs, which are advocating war,” Justine Labeja, LRA’s Nairobi-based spokesperson, told Reuters.

The LRA fought a two-decade insurgency in northern Uganda before crossing into DRC in 2005. A Ugandan-led multinational force attacked its jungle bases in late 2008, and the rebels splintered into groups.

Most of the fighters crossed into Sudan and the Central African Republic, where they have carried out waves of attacks, but experts think one group remains based in DRC.


“Yes, we are in DRC but we have no problem with the Congolese people or its government and we continue to call for a ceasefire to end this war,” said Labeja.

Colonel Michael Anywar, an LRA official in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, accused the UN of making the rebel group a scapegoat and an excuse to stay in the mineral-rich nation.

“The UN are being kicked out of DRC against their will but they now want to use us as an excuse to stay there,” he said.

The cult-like group, which is led by Joseph Kony and is accused of turning boys into child soldiers and girls into sex slaves, says it wants to rule Uganda according to the Bible’s Ten Commandments.

At the height of Kony’s war, thousands were killed and two million Ugandans were forced to seek safety in camps that dotted northern Uganda and southern Sudan for close to two decades. — Reuters

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Frank Nyakairu
Frank Nyakairu works from Nairobi, Kenya. Journalist, Online Free Expression Campaigner & UN Communications & Media Consultant Frank Nyakairu has over 497 followers on Twitter.
Advertising

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday