Nationalisation not an option, says land minister

The supremacy of the Constitution should not be taken for granted in respect of land ownership, but nationalisation is not an option, Rural Development and Land Reform Minister Gugile Nkwinti said on Thursday.

South Africans must debate the land question and must not be detracted from doing so, he said in a statement.

The historical background of the country’s land ownership, and the challenges facing land reform, made it imperative that a new land tenure system be formulated, he said.

“It is true that black people in particular would like to debate the issue of nationalisation of land, and as minister, I support such a debate.

“There are some elements in the media and elsewhere who use the issue of Zimbabwe and Section 25 of the Constitution as a red herring in order to stifle the debate on land reform.

“We will not be detracted from debating the land question; neither will we be detracted from finding lasting solutions.

“Our democracy is based on the will of the people, and they will express their view on the land question through debate and consultation.

“We will, as a responsive and responsible government, not stifle people’s right to debate, nor take for granted the supremacy of the Constitution,” Nkwinti said.

“We will propose and debate an appropriate land tenure system for South Africa; one that will lead to sustainable land reform, and will be based on [certain] principles.”

These were deracialisation of the rural economy for shared and sustained growth; democratic and equitable land allocation and use across gender, race, and class; and strict production discipline for guaranteed national food security.


“Land nationalisation is not an option,” Nkwinti said. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Schools: Confusion rather than clarity and confidence reign

The way in which Angie Motshekga has handled the reopening of schools has caused many people to lose confidence in her

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday