Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Vatican climbdown over sex-abuse remarks

The Vatican was forced into a climbdown after remarks by a senior cardinal linking homosexuality with paedophilia caused an international outcry.

The French foreign ministry protested at the “unacceptable linkage” which Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone had made between sexual orientation and child sex abuse. A forceful statement by British bishops distancing themselves from the remarks added to the pressure.

Gay rights campaigners and victim support groups also denounced Bertone, who is the second most important figure in the Catholic church, for his comments, made during a televised press conference in Santiago, Chile, on Monday.

In an attempt to defuse the row, and embarrassed by the fresh ignominy of an outspoken cleric, the Vatican attempted to draw the sting from the cardinal’s remarks, while suggesting that the link he had made between homosexuality and paedophilia was valid for sex abuse by clerics.

The papal spokesperson, Father Federico Lombardi, said that church authorities did not regard themselves as competent to make statements “of a specifically psychological or medical nature”. But, answering questions from journalists, he pointed to figures cited by the Vatican official in charge of investigating abuse cases.

‘Not paedophilia in the strict sense’
In an interview last month with the church-owned daily Avvenire, Monsignor Charles Scicluna said nine out of every 10 cases dealt with in recent years had not involved paedophilia in the strict sense, but ephebophilia (relations with mid-to-late adolescents). Of these, two-thirds concerned relations with boys and one-third relations with girls.

“What is being referred to here is obviously the issue of abuse by priests and not in the population at large,” Lombardi told the press.

A more explicit rebuttal came from Catholic bishops in England and Wales, who moved quickly to reject Bertone’s assertions.

A statement from the Reverend Father Marcus Stock, general secretary to the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales, said there was no empirical data to conclude that paedophilia had anything to do with homosexuality. His statement bears the authority and approval of all 32 Catholic bishops in England and Wales.

No link between sexual orientation and abuse
He said: “To the best of my knowledge, there is no empirical data which concludes that sexual orientation is connected to child sexual abuse.

“The consensus among researchers is that the sexual abuse of children is not a question of sexual orientation, whether heterosexual or homosexual, but of a disordered attraction or fixation. Many abusers of children have never developed the capacity for mature adult relationships.”

The statement represents a concerted effort by Catholic clergy to distance themselves from increasingly erratic pronouncements from the Vatican on who or what is to blame for priestly paedophilia.

It also exposes the tension between the Vatican, which is often seen as out of touch with the world around it, and local churches, which are seen as being more aware of contemporary social sensibilities and attitudes. —

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×