UN alarmed at Ugandan rebels’ killing spree

The United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) expressed alarm Friday that “murderous” Ugandan rebels are mounting increasingly brutal attacks on civilians in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Sudan and the Central African Republic (CRA).

“UNHCR is alarmed by reports we’re receiving from our field offices of a dramatic rise in the frequency and brutality of the Lord’s Resistance Army’s [LRA] attacks against civilians in the DRC and Sudan in the last four months, and increasingly in the CAR,” said Melissa Fleming, spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees.

“It just seems to us that this awful, murderous group has only one agenda and that is to terrorise, rape and kill with unimaginable brutality,” she added.

The LRA went on at least 10 rampages in the CAR’s southern Haut-Mbomou province between March 20 and May 6, killing 36 people, burning houses and sending 10 000 people fleeing.

They killed up to 100 people in their last major attack in the DRC between February 22 and 26, according to reports collated by the UNHCR.


Civilians in Sudan, particularly in regions bordering DRC, Uganda and the CAR, also suffered attacks by the Ugandan rebels.

At a refugee settlement in Sudan’s Western Equatoria, rebels killed one man and injured another, before being repulsed by South Sudanese police.

The LRA took up arms in 1988 in northern Uganda and has acquired a reputation for brutality. Its leaders are wanted by the International Criminal Court for war crimes.

Since 2005, under pressure from the Ugandan army, the fighters pulled back from their bases in Uganda to move into the remote north-east of DRC, where they were said to number fewer than 100 late last year, according to the UN mission in the country.

“There are claims that the size of the LRA has been reduced, but it is clear that their killing power has not subsequently gone down because what we’re seeing here is a rise in brutality,” said Fleming.

According to the UNHCR, the LRA has killed more than 1 800 people in DRC since December 2008. About 280 000 people have also been forced to flee their homes after coming under attacks.

In Sudan, the rebels have killed up to 2 500 people and displaced 87 800, said the UNHCR. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

The challenges of delivering a Covid-19 vaccine in Africa requires a new approach

It is imperative that we train healthcare workers and participate in continent-wide collaboration

The return of Uganda’s royal Rolls Royce

The Kabaka of Buganda’s fleet of Rolls-Royces was seized in a coup nearly 60 years ago. Now his successor has brought the only known ‘survivor’ home

Museveni isn’t worried about winning the election, but about what comes next

Uganda’s president is likely to win the next election. But Bobi Wine’s constituency poses the most serious threat yet to his continued rule

‘He ain’t heavy, he’s a policeman and he’s paying . . .’

The story behind Ugandan photojournalist Nicholas Bamulanzeki’s iconic picture of the policeman in the floods

‘Pro-family’ campaigners ignore pregnant women dying during Covid lockdowns

Conservative groups are fighting efforts to expand African women’s access to healthcare. Do they care about women all the time, or only when they’re procreating?

Poking fun at Museveni is no joke

A ‘deranged’ comedy group is testing the limits of the Ugandan leader’s long rule – and his patience
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Eastern Cape universities concerned by rising Covid cases

Fort Hare says 26 more students have tested positive while Walter Sisulu University says some of its students have been admitted to hospital.

SAA in talks to recoup R350-million in blocked funds...

The cash-strapped national carrier is in the process of recouping its blocked funds from Zimbabwe, which could go towards financing the airline’s business rescue plan

NSFAS’s woes do not help its mandate

Nehawu wants the scheme’s administrator, Randall Carolissen, to be removed

Unions cry foul over SABC dismissal costs and retrenchments

Broadcaster bodies say claims that a recent skills audit is unrelated to retrenchments are ‘irrational’
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday