Maroga sacking illegal, court told

The termination of Jacob Maroga’s employment as CEO of power utility Eskom was illegal, the South Gauteng High Court, in Johannesburg, heard on Monday.

“… It is unlawful and must be set aside,” said Maroga’s lawyer, Vincent Maleka.

He spent the day painstakingly picking through the company’s articles of association — which govern the relationship between its directors and shareholders — in support of Maroga’s claim to R85-million in benefits he lost by being removed from the post.

Maleka said there was no written resignation letter by Maroga and the board did not make a written resolution on its acceptance of the resignation in October last year. He said that all of this was on Eskom’s version.

Although it said it was done orally, there was nothing written down by the board to confirm it. All it could find was a “round robin” resolution on whether it should accept Maroga’s resignation, and that of chairperson Bobby Godsell, who had also resigned at the height of the controversy.


The board decided to accept Maroga’s resignation but not Godsell’s.

However, a copy of that resolution was only signed by one person on November 2.

A copy of the resolution containing the signatures of the other board members, which would have constituted a quorum, couldn’t be found. There were eight board members present at this meeting, according to Eskom.

“This is not an acceptable resolution. There is no copy with everyone’s signature. We invite our learned friends to make it available to the court and to us.”

Earlier, Maleka had argued that only Public Enterprises Minister Barbara Hogan could have fired Maroga in terms of the company’s articles of association.

The articles also stipulate that resignations had to be done in writing.

Maleka said Eskom was obliged to act ethically as a state entity.

“[But this] was not consistent with the virtues and values of proper governance by a state entity.”

Maroga was present in court and appeared relaxed as he followed proceedings. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

The case against Floyd Shivambu

The flow of money from VBS Bank would seem to suggest that the EFF’s second-in-command was an ultimate beneficiary of proceeds of a crime

Cabinet reshuffle rumours: Unlikely to happen any time soon, but…

Persistent rumours of a cabinet reshuffle may be jumping the gun, but they do reflect the political realignment taking place within the ANC

Gauteng responds to grave concern

The news of Gauteng’s grave site preparations raised alarm about the expected number of Covid-19-related deaths in the province

Nigeria’s anti-corruption boss arrested for corruption

Ibrahim Magu’s arrest by the secret police was a surprise — but also not surprising
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday