Gama threatens legal action against Transnet

Suspended Transnet Freight Rail chief executive Siyabonga Gama is threatening legal action to stave off his dismissal, the company said on Monday.

Gama, through his attorney, had made the threats in an email to the company and members of the media, said Transnet spokesperson John Dludlu in a statement.

Threatening further action
“In the email, Mr Gama threatens further court proceedings in an effort to prevent the finalisation of the disciplinary hearing to determine the sanction that should be imposed on him for a number of instances of serious misconduct,” said Dludlu.

Last week, Gama was found guilty of a serious breach of governance requirements in relation to two procurement contracts.

Gama was suspended late last year to face charges related to the allocation of a contract to refurbish 50 locomotives to Sibanye Trade Services, which allegedly lacks experience in the renovation of locomotives.


Gama, who only had authority to sign off on contracts of less than R10-million, also allegedly awarded a R19-million contract to a security firm with alleged links to Communications Minister Siphiwe Nyanda.

“The content of this email, and the fact that it was distributed simultaneously to the media by Mr Gama’s attorney, show that this is a transparent attempt by Mr Gama to avoid dealing with the consequences of the misconduct of which he has been found guilty,” said Dludlu. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Sassa disses disability grant applicants

Towards the end of level four of the lockdown, Sassa offices reopened for applications for old age pensions and childcare and foster care grants, but not for disability grants

Gauteng health MEC Bandile Masuku’s first rule: Don’t panic

As Gauteng braces for its Covid-19 peak, the province’s MEC for health, Bandile Masuku, is putting his training to the test as he leads efforts to tackle the impending public health crisis
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday