VW unveils €70m SA investment plan

Europe’s biggest car-maker, Volkswagen, said on Thursday it would expand its South African operations with investments in a plant in Uitenhage and a distribution centre near Pretoria.

VW said it would invest about €70-million on top of about €500-million already ploughed into South Africa over the past four years as part of its goal to become the world’s biggest car-maker.

“The Uitenhage plant plays an important role in this context,” a statement quoted VW chairperson Martin Winterkorn as saying.

Production at the plant is expected to double this year as its press shop is modernised and expanded with €50-million in investment.

Another €23-million is expected to be spent on a new distribution centre in Centurion, near Pretoria, the statement said.

“Volkswagen is the market leader on South Africa’s passenger car market. Our existing investment, coupled with the new measures, lays the foundation for staying on our growth path,” Winterkorn said.

VW hopes to overtake Toyota as the world’s leading car-maker by 2018. — Sapa-AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.


Advertising

Mapisa-Nqakula ‘regrets confusion’ after contradictory statements on Khosa case

The minister’s media statement follows a letter from Khosa’s attorneys that they were considering a perjury charge or a complaint with the Public Protector

Capture claims plague new private-security bargaining council

Unhappy members of the National Bargaining Council for the Private Security Sector say corporate governance standards are being flouted

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday