Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

‘No crisis’ as Presidency officials resign

The Presidency has announced three more departures by senior officials in its office but denied that there was a “crisis”.

“There is no exodus of staff, and there is no crisis or turmoil in the institution,” the Presidency said in a statement posted on its website on Monday.

“What is happening are normal staff movements as it happens in any organisation at any time,” the Presidency said, adding it was concerned about “speculative reporting” on staff changes.

The comments were contained in a statement entitled, “Staff changes in the Presidency”, which confirmed weekend rumours of more departures by senior officials.

Discussions still continuing
The statement said President Jacob Zuma’s economic adviser Mandisi Mpahlwa and deputy director-general for communications Vusi Mona would move to other jobs.

The presidency said that Mpahlwa had been appointed ambassador-designate to the Russian Federation.

“Given the importance of Russia, we needed a seasoned cadre to represent the president and the national interest in that country,”
said the minister in the Presidency responsible for administration, Collins Chabane.

Mpahlwa will assume the post in September.

Mona will move to the Government Communications and Information System.

“The weekend media reports that Mr Mona has been asked to resign are incorrect,” said the statement.

“Meanwhile, President Zuma and Minister Chabane are currently in discussions with the Director-General, Mr Vusi Mavimbela regarding his role and this has not been finalised yet.”

The resignation of chief director for presidential support services Steyn Speed — “who is leaving to undertake further studies” — was also announced in the statement.

Reports of unrest
Zuma’s spokesperson Vincent Magwenya resigned last week to “rejoin the corporate world”.

Chief operating officer Jessie Duarte resigned in April. At the time, the then deputy director-general in the Presidency — and now chief of staff — Lakela Kaunda, dismissed reports linking her to Jessie Duarte’s resignation as “grossly incorrect” and “unfortunate”.

“I have never had a quarrel with Ms Jessie Duarte,” said Kaunda at the time.

In February, it was reported that Duarte wrote an “emotional email” to ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe, citing a “smear” campaign, “gossip” and “vilification” as reasons for intending to leave. — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Bloated Sassa to make staff cuts

The social security agency has ‘lost’ R2-billion on unnecessary salaries and through wasteful expenditure

SANDF’s ‘dignity’ comes with a R200mn price tag

Find out about the SANDF’s new uniform, which is costing taxpayers close to R200-million, while mission-critical equipment is not maintained

More top stories

Phiyega bid to sidestep Marikana massacre dismissed

Ex-police commissioner Riah Phiyega hoped to quash findings including colluding in a cover-up and misleading the public about what happened at the platinum mine in 2012.

Warring ANC factions united in questioning SAA deal

Four unhappy high-ranking party members say the SAA sale was never discussed at the NEC

Ice skating champion shows off the Cape Flats talent at...

A young ice-skating champion has beaten the odds and brought home a national gold medal

Study finds too much salt can damage immune cell function

The study investigated how sodium intake affects human cells by giving participants 6g of salt in tablet form each day for 14 days, while they continued with their normal diets.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×