Decision on future World Cup hosts on horizon

As the South African World Cup heads to its conclusion, the immediate focus on the soccer agenda will turn not to the next tournament in Brazil but rather the potential hosts of the two editions in 2018 and 2022.

A decision will be made in December on the hosting of the two tournaments when Fifa’s powerful cabinet, its 24-man executive committee, chooses from a list of nine candidates.

It is the first time the hosting of two World Cups is being made at the same time and will come at the end of a fairly brief and low-profile campaign, enlivened only by English tabloid revelations and Australian accusations of alleged bribery.

England, despite the resignation of FA chairperson Lord Triesman after a tabloid sting in which he accused rival bids of corruption, are the bookmakers’ favourites to win the 2018 bid, ahead of rival European countries and the United States.

Russia is a strong outsider but joint bids from Belgium and The Netherlands, plus Portugal and Spain, need to overcome Fifa’s reluctance to have co-hosts again after what officials said was a difficult and costly event in South Korea and Japan in 2002.


The two Asian countries are bidding again, though this time separately, for the 2022 finals along with Australia and Qatar.

No malpractice
Australia’s football federation said on Tuesday it had issued proceeding against newspapers who alleged malpractice in their bid. Among the allegations were that the bid had given inappropriate gifts to Fifa officials and their wives.

Strict rules have kept the rival bids from overwhelming the fringes of the World Cup in South Africa but delegations have been taken on official tours of the facilities and local organisation in the last week by the world governing body.

Leading officials have been discreetly lobbying key Fifa members with England using Princes William and Harry to host a reception in Johannesburg in the first week of the World Cup, which rivals claimed came close to flouting the rules.

But central to the chances of the nine bids will be the intense inspections Fifa will launch later this month, sending experts to pick over the candidate’s bid books — voluminous documents that detail how they plan to host their World Cup.

Once the inspections are completed by September, Fifa’s executive committee will receive a summation of the best bids but it is not always the most suitable candidate that wins.

In the end, the politicking and personal interests of the all-powerful executive committee decides the outcome of the vote, this time scheduled for Zurich on December 2.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

What is the noise about Ace?

The Hawks have distanced themselves from a news report that the ANC’s secretary general Ace Magashule has been issued with a warrant of arrest

Low-key start to a busy season

MTN8 quarterfinals are first up as the PSL struggles to find enough dates for its busy programme.

#FifaGoHome: Seven pictures from the protests

While the hype of the World Cup steals the limelight in the media, demonstrators in Brazil continue to highlight social issues in the country.

Fifa, the ‘real president of Brazil’

Fresh protests rocked Brazil on Saturday despite conciliatory remarks by President Dilma Rousseff.

Whatever happened to Phillip?

On the two-year anniversary of the Soccer World Cup final, we ask South Africans whether they still 'feel it', and where they think Phillip has gone.

Dancing in the streets

With the two year anniversary of the 2010 FIFA Soccer World Cup approaching, 'Dancing in the Streets' takes South Africans on a trip down memory lane.
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

The Nigerian government is killing its citizens — again

‘Nigeria kills its people. Nigeria has always killed its people.’

Finance probe into the Ingonyama Trust Board goes ahead

The threat of legal action from ITB chairperson Jerome Ngwenya fails to halt forensic audit ordered by the land reform minister

Ailing Far East Rand hospital purchases ‘vanity’ furniture

Dr Zacharia Mathaba, who purchased the furniture, is a suspected overtime fraudster and was appointed as Gauteng hospital chief executive despite facing serious disciplinary charges

Institutions of higher learning should commemorate their casualties

The bust of Matikweni Nkuna at Tshwane University of Technology is an example of how we should honour those who fought for equal access to education
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday