Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Rwanda summons SA ambassador over shooting probe

Kigali has summoned South Africa’s ambassador to voice concern over the probe into the shooting last month in Johannesburg of a Rwandan general, Foreign Minister Louise Mushikiwabo told Agence France-Presse late on Tuesday.

Dissident Rwandan general Faustin Kayumba Nyamwasa survived an assassination attempt in South Africa on June 19, which his wife and some opposition media in Rwanda have blamed on President Paul Kagame’s regime.

“I have summoned the South African ambassador [Gladstone Dumisani Gwadiso] on Tuesday to convey the concern of the Rwandan government over the way the investigation is carried out,” Mushikiwabo said.

“Some insinuations emanating from official circles in South Africa and carried in the media appear to be pointing a finger at the Rwandan government,” she said.

“Naturally, there is no truth to this. We find these insinuations very alarming,” the foreign minister added.

‘It saddens us’
Earlier this month, the South African Foreign Ministry suggested foreign agents might have been involved in the assassination attempt but did not elaborate as to which country they were from.

Mushikiwabo also alleged that a Rwandan businessman based in South Africa “was treated in a very unprofessional way during questioning” by investigators.

“His personal belongings and his money were not returned to him when he was released. Moreover, he was branded a killer during his interrogation,” she charged.

She also claimed that a member of Nyamasa’s family attended the interrogation. “In our opinion, it is not normal that a party involved in the case should be taking part in the inquiry.”

“It saddens us coming from a country with which we have a very positive partnership, a country with which we have excellent ties,” Mushikiwabo added.

Days after Nyamasa’s shooting, an opposition journalist in Kigali who claimed to have uncovered evidence of the regime’s involvement was shot dead. — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×