WikiLeaks: Pakistan secretly backed Taliban

More Nato troops will die fighting in Afghanistan this summer, a top United States military officer said, as a new report emerged implicating Pakistan for actively collaborating with the insurgency while accepting US aid.

The New York Times, citing documents leaked by the group WikiLeaks, said representatives from Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence met directly with the Taliban in secret strategy sessions to organise militant networks fighting US soldiers.

The agency was also involved in plots to assassinate Afghan leader, the Times said, adding the WikiLeaks report was based on 91 000 documents collected from across the US military in the country.

The White House condemned the leak, saying it could threaten national security and endanger the lives of Americans. Pakistan said leaking of unprocessed reports from the battlefield was irresponsible.

Violence in Afghanistan is at its highest of the nine-year-old war as thousands of extra US troops, dispatched by President Barack Obama in December, step up their campaign to drive insurgents out of their traditional heartland in the south.

US Admiral Mike Mullen, chairperson of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said he expected fighting to intensify over the next few months, but Washington’s goal of turning the tide against the insurgency by year’s end was within reach.

“No one is declaring victory but there is progress,” he told reporters in Kabul. “I believe that goal is still achievable and certainly the proof of that will be what happens over these next many months in what is a very challenging period.”

Servicemen missing
Mullen’s remarks on Sunday came as the Taliban said they were holding captive one of two US servicemen who strayed into insurgent territory, and that the other had been killed.

“We have the body of the dead soldier and the other one who is alive. We have taken them to a safe place,” said Zabihullah Mujahid by telephone from an undisclosed location.

A spokesperson for the Nato-led force declined to comment on the Taliban’s announcement it was holding one of the men, who were both from the US navy.

The navy described both men as still missing.

The two had failed to return on Friday in a vehicle they had taken from their compound in Kabul, the Nato-led force said.

Rumours circulated in local and international media about the fate of the missing men and how they had managed to stray into an insurgent-controlled area in Logar province, a short but dangerous 100km drive south of the capital. One provincial offical said alcohol was found in their vehicle.

Mullen, who called the troops’ disappearance an “unusual circumstance”, said the US military was doing everything possible to find them.

Last month was the deadliest for foreign troops since 2001, with more than 100 killed, and civilian deaths have also risen as ordinary Afghans are increasingly caught in the crossfire.

“As we continue our force levels and our operations over the summer … we will likely see further tough casualties and levels of violence,” Mullen told a news conference in Kabul.

The only other foreign soldier believed held by the Taliban is Idaho national guardsman Bowe Bergdahl, whose capture in June last year triggered a massive manhunt. His captors have issued videos of him denouncing the war, in what the US military has called illegal propaganda.

Separately, the Afghan government said on Sunday it was checking reports from villagers that civilians had been killed in a raid by foreign forces in Sangin, in southern Helmand province, on Friday.

The Nato-led force said it was aware of reports of the incident and was investigating, but would not comment further until further details were available. Such incidents have triggered outrage in the past among the population against the international troops whose mission is to protect them. – Reuters

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sayed Salahuddin
Sayed Salahuddin works from Kabul, Afghanistan. I was born 40 years ago in Kabul and since 1996 have been working with Reuters as journalist in Afghanistan covering political and general news. Sayed Salahuddin has over 57 followers on Twitter.
Advertising

Stella set to retain her perks

Communication minister will keep Cabinet perks during her two months of special leave

Not a sweet deal, Mister

Mister Sweet workers say they will not risk their health, and the lives of others, to continue producing and packaging confectionaries

Covid-19 grounds Nigeria’s medical tourists

The country’s elites, including the president, travelled abroad for treatment but now they must use the country’s neglected health system

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Press Releases

Rahima Moosa Hospital nursing college introduces no-touch facial recognition access system

The new system allows the hospital to enrol people’s faces immediately, using artificial intelligence, and integrates easily with existing access control infrastructure, including card readers and biometrics

Everyone’s talking about it. Even Kentucky

Earlier this year South African fried chicken fast-food chain, Chicken Licken®, launched a campaign for their wallet-friendly EasyBucks® meals, based on the idea of ‘Everyone’s talking about it.’

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world