Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

French mother confesses to eight baby murders

A French mother on Thursday admitted killing eight newborn babies, investigators said, as a shocked nation struggled to digest the latest grisly tragedy of village life.

Dominique Cottrez, a nursing assistant in her 40s, was charged with the murder of the babies and her husband, Pierre-Marie Cottrez, with failure to report a crime and illegally hiding corpses.

The mother admitted suffocating the infants and insisted her husband knew nothing about the pregnancies or the killings, according to an official close to the investigations. She faces life imprisonment.

Her husband denied any knowledge of the deaths, the official said.

Stunned residents of the pair’s quiet village of Villers-au-Tertre, in northern France, put flowers and candles outside the two houses where police had found the skeletal remains over the previous few days.

Prosecutors described it as the worst case of infanticide in recent French history, following a string of similar cases in which isolated and troubled mothers disposed of their newborns.

The suspects were brought before a magistrate in the nearby town of Douai to hear the charges. They were remanded in custody and prosecutors promised to hold a news conference to explain the charges.

‘He’s a respectable man’
Pierre-Marie Cottrez worked as a carpenter and was a respected member of the council in Villers-au-Tertre, a 620-strong community.

“He’s on his third term in office. He used to volunteer in the community. He’s a respectable man,” local mayor Patrick Mercier told reporters.

Mercier said the councillor’s wife was a more withdrawn person who rarely took part in village life. He said she had a weight problem, which might be the reason why any pregnancies had passed unnoticed.

“No one was aware of anything at all,” said the shocked mayor.

The pair were arrested on Tuesday and questioned all day on Wednesday while police used sniffer dogs to search two addresses after the new owners of a home found the bones of two infants while digging in their garden.

The house previously belonged to the parents of the arrested woman.

Search teams then headed on to the couple’s current home in another part of the village, where six more sets of remains were found, a local councillor told reporters.

‘I’m still in shock’
Gendarmes were deployed outside one of the houses where the babies’ bodies were found, and sealed off the entrance to the macabre scene with plastic sheeting.

“I’m thinking of all the children in the world. I’m thinking of all the children who didn’t ask to be born and were thrown out a few hours later,” said local priest Father Robert Meignotte.

“I’m very upset. I baptise five children every Sunday in the 17 villages of the parish. You don’t just throw children out like that in a big bag. It’s incomprehensible,” he said.

“I’m still in shock,” said a former mayor of Villers-au-Tertre, Daniel Collignon, describing the village as a very calm and rural place.

Neighbours reacted with astonishment. “They are normal people, who even have a role in the community,” said one. “It’s incredible.”

Another neighbour, a man in his 50s, added: “These are attractive, helpful, polite and courteous people, who did nothing to make you think them capable of anything abnormal.

The couple had lived in the village for 15 years and had two grown-up daughters who have children themselves, local residents said.

String of similar cases in France
The incident is the latest in a string of similar cases in France.

Earlier this year a mother was convicted of killing six of her newborn children and hiding them in the cellar of her house in north-western France.

Another notorious recent case was Veronique Courjault, who in June 2009 was jailed for eight years by a court in Tours, central France. She admitted to having smothered two baby boys born in secret at her expatriate home in South Korea in 2002 and 2003, and a third child born in France in 1999, and hidden them in a freezer.

She was freed in May 2010, having served four years in jail after the time she spent in remand since her arrest. — AFP

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Family wants clarity on SANDF soldier killed in friendly fire...

Corporal Simanga Khuselo join the peacekeeping mission in the DRC to save money to build his family a home

SA soldiers have been fighting in a distant land for...

Troops were sent to the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2001 as part of the UN peacekeeping mission that became an offensive against rebels

More top stories

Despite inflation risks, the monetary policy committee keeps rates on...

Inflation rose well beyond the Reserve Bank’s midpoint target in August

Sasol commits to net zero ambition by 2050, triples 2030...

But Sasol shouldn’t rely on natural gas a transition fuel, say civil society organisations

ActionSA wants pro-poor, business-friendly metros

Branding itself as a corruption busting party, ActionSA said it will establish dedicated independent forensics units in each of its municipalities, with the mandate to investigate all potential corrupt activities

‘We are focused on the local government elections,’ ANC tells...

The organisation has sent another letter to staff members saying that salaries for July, August and September will not be paid on 25 September
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×