ANC warns members against court action

ANC members who take the party to court before exhausting all internal processes will be suspended, the party’s secretary general Gwede Mantashe said on Tuesday.

“The African National Congress national working committee re-affirmed that it is a dismissible offence, in the ANC, to take the ANC to court when all the organisational processes have not been exhausted,” he said in a statement.

The committee held its meeting in Johannesburg on Monday to discuss tensions in the ANC Youth League caused by a leadership tussle.

Several court cases have been brought against the league in a tussle involving current president Julius Malema and his deputy Andile Lungisa ahead of the youth wing’s elective conference next year.

A court order prevented the league’s weekend congress in the Eastern Cape from going ahead. In Limpopo provincial chairperson Lehlogonolo Masoga took the league to court to force it to drop disciplinary action against him.

He was disciplined for walking out of the ANCYL provincial congress in Makhado in April, where Malema allegedly told police to keep his supporters away from the voting hall. He had since dropped the case and was dismissed from the league.

“Those who have announced their intention to take cases to court are warned to desist from that ill-advised action,” he said.

A task team, led by Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe, had been appointed by the party to try and resolve tensions between youth league members in Limpopo and the Eastern Cape. It was expected to wrap up its work next week.

Mantashe said the national working committee was of the view that tensions among league members were caused by a ill-discipline.

“Cases of ill-discipline must be addressed as close as possible to the level of contravention. All the provinces of the ANC must take an active role in re-instilling discipline in the structures of the movement.”


He said the party had directed all ANC provincial structures to work closely with the league and intervene when the need arose.

“We must provide avenues for members of the ANC to channel their grievances and take tough action when these structures are undermined.” – Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Mapisa-Nqakula ‘regrets confusion’ after contradictory statements on Khosa case

The minister’s media statement follows a letter from Khosa’s attorneys that they were considering a perjury charge or a complaint with the Public Protector

Capture claims plague new private-security bargaining council

Unhappy members of the National Bargaining Council for the Private Security Sector say corporate governance standards are being flouted

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday