Block’s permit taken with a pinch of salt

A company owned by Northern Cape ANC chair John Block is to ask the Supreme Court of Appeal to validate an irregular mining permit that his company uses to mine salt in the province.

Block, a controversial figure, is currently provincial finance minister.

Judge Hennie Lacock ruled in the Northern Cape High Court in January this year that Block’s company, Suid Afrikaanse Soutwerke, had been mining at Vrysoutpan outside Upington using a fraudulently issued permit.

Suid Afrikaanse Soutwerke was taken to court by Saamwerk Soutwerke, whose application for a mining licence was revoked at the last minute by the former department of minerals and energy.

In his judgment Lacock found that Saamwerk Soutwerke received a licence to mine at Vrysoutpan on September 27 2006, threatening to displace Suid Afrikaanse Soutwerke, which had been mining at the site for several years.


The latter then roped Block into its leadership. Less than two months later, in November 2006, he joined it as a director, with Upington mayor Gift van Staden. Van Staden is also ANC regional chair for the Siyanda region, which includes Upington, Keimoes and Kakamas.

After the inclusion of the two politicians as directors of the company, Saamwerk Soutwerke was told the mining licence had been “erroneously” granted to it because it had already been allocated to Block’s company.

An official in the Northern Cape minerals and energy department, a certain Mr Mndaweni, said in an affidavit that he was responsible for the “mistake”.

Lacock found that the licence that Mndaweni referred to as having previously been issued to Block’s company was fraudulent and since 2005 Suid Afrikaanse Soutwerke had no authority to continue mining at Vrysoutpan.

Suid Afrikaanse Soutwerke was granted leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Appeal. Requests for comment were referred to the company’s lawyer, Altus van der Heever, who declined to comment on the case because it is sub judice.

Media reports about this case resulted in an outpouring of support for Block. Both Northern Cape premier Hazel Jenkins and the provincial ANC Youth League issued statements supporting him.

When Block was Northern Cape transport minister in 2003, he admitted to spending R50 000 of taxpayers’ money on private trips, including a visit to the jazz festival in Cape Town in 2003.

He apologised at the time and resigned, but was re-appointed last year.

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Mandy Rossouw
Guest Author

Related stories

Indians in South Africa, a historical excerpt

In the book, The Indian Africans, academic Kiru Naidoo explores the society of colonial Natal in the late 1800s to early 1900

A colossus with feet of clay

South Africa is disproportionately targeted by cybercriminals. Digital attacks call for digital solutions and technology is a the prime weapon in this fight

The president, the preacher and the great escape

Malawi’s new president was furious after Shepherd Bushiri’s dramatic disappearance from South Africa

Patel: South Africa on target to attract R1.2-trillion in investments

The trade minister says the country is on track to reach more than R1-trillion worth of investments over five years, despite Covid-19 disruptions

South Africa must revisit and refresh its idea of itself

Covid has propelled citizens into feelings of a new shared identity in which the historical force of ‘whiteness’ is fading into irrelevance

Institutions of higher learning should commemorate their casualties

The bust of Matikweni Nkuna at Tshwane University of Technology is an example of how we should honour those who fought for equal access to education
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…