Naomi Campbell says ‘nothing to gain’ from diamonds

Supermodel Naomi Campbell said on Tuesday she had nothing to gain from being untruthful in her testimony about alleged “blood diamonds” and said suggestions she did not care about suffering in Africa were hurtful.

In a statement issued five days after testifying in The Hague at the war crimes trial of former Liberian president Charles Taylor, Campbell described herself as “a black woman who has and will always support good causes, especially relating to Africa”.

“I’ve no motive here. Nothing to gain,” she said.

Campbell (40) said last week that she was given some “dirty looking pebbles” after a 1997 charity dinner she attended with Taylor and others but did not know if they were blood diamonds or who they were from. She handed them to a South African charity the next day.

Testimony on Monday by actress Mia Farrow and model agent Carole White, who were also at the dinner, contradicted parts of her evidence.


“Naomi Campbell was in South Africa helping a charity, had the diamonds for a matter of hours and handed them over to a representative of Nelson Mandela’s children’s charity.

“She was not on trial in The Hague and was as helpful towards the court as she could be,” the statement said.

Campbell was summoned by prosecutors to support their allegations that Taylor received blood diamonds from rebels in Sierra Leone and used them to buy weapons. He denies 11 counts, including rape, sexual slavery and the conscription of child soldiers during wars in Liberia and Sierra Leone.

The statement, issued via a London-based PR agency, said Campbell had a long commitment to supporting good causes, especially in Africa.

“The suggestion that Campbell in some way doesn’t care about the plight of those suffering in Africa is ridiculous and hurtful,” it said. – Reuters

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Eastern Cape schools to only open for grades 3, 6...

The province says the increase in Covid-19 cases has made it re-evaluate some decisions

Malawi celebrates independence day, but the first president left his...

The historical record shows that Malawi’s difficulties under Hastings Banda were evident at the very moment of the country’s founding

Gauteng health MEC Bandile Masuku’s first rule: Don’t panic

As Gauteng braces for its Covid-19 peak, the province’s MEC for health, Bandile Masuku, is putting his training to the test as he leads efforts to tackle the impending public health crisis
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday