Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

More than 4 200 dead or missing in China floods

More than 4 200 people have died or are missing in floods in China so far this year, the worst to hit the country in more than a decade, the government said on Tuesday.

Torrential rains triggering floods and related natural disasters have affected 230-million people and resulted in the evacuation of 15,18-million people as of August 31, the monthly toll report said.

A total of 3 185 people have been killed, while 1 050 are listed as missing in flood-related natural disasters in China so far this year, it said.

The central government has allocated more than two billion yuan in relief funds to the eight provinces hardest hit, which include Gansu in the north-west that was hit by a massive mudslide, and neighbouring Sichuan and Shaanxi.

Direct economic losses stood at more than 350-billion yuan ($51,4-billion) as more than two million homes have collapsed while more than five million buildings have been damaged, the report said.

A devastating mudslide in Gansu in August was the worst flood-related disaster so far this year, leaving at least 1 467 dead and 298 missing.

The overall situation has triggered a repeat of disastrous flooding in 1998, when heavy rain swelled the Yangtze, China’s longest river, and many tributaries, leading to devastating levee collapses. — AFP

Vote for an informed choice

We’re dropping the paywall this week so that everyone can access all our stories for free, and get the information they need in the run up to the local government elections. For the latest updates and political analysis, sign up to our daily elections newsletter.

If our coverage helps inform your decision, cast your vote for an informed public and join our subscriber community. Right now, a full year’s access is just R510, half the usual cost. Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Sisulu to appeal Umgeni board court ruling

New Water and Sanitation Minister Senzo Mchunu has already started moves to implement the court order and dissolve Sisulu’s interim board

High court dismisses Zuma’s plea for state prosecutor Billy Downer’s...

Judge Piet Koen set 11 April 2022 as the date for the arms deal trial to commence and if Zuma’s counsel signalled that they may seek leave to appeal, this is highly unlikely to force an umpteenth delay

Drop in registered voters, but will turnout continue to rise?

Voter turnout for local government elections has steadily risen since 2000, but the uptick could be stalled by Covid-19, much like registration has been

Police identify 300 high risk areas during local government elections

Police minister Bheki Cele said they have identified the KZN, Gauteng, Eastern Cape and Western Cape provinces as high risk areas deploying a high contingent of police and SANDF
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×