EU threatens action against France over Roma

The European Union may take legal action against France for the way it has handled the expulsion of Roma migrants, the EU’s justice commissioner said on Tuesday, calling France’s behaviour a disgrace.

Commissioner Viviane Reding said France had been duplicitous in its dealings with EU authorities over the removal of thousands of Roma migrants and said she believed proceedings should be brought against Paris within weeks.

“My patience is wearing thin. Enough is enough,” Reding told reporters at a briefing in Brussels, raising her voice and thumping the podium in frustration as she spoke.

“No member state can expect special treatment when fundamental values and European laws are at stake.

“I am personally convinced that the commission will have no choice but to initiate infringement procedures against France,” she said, saying the commission, the EU executive, would discuss how to proceed as soon as possible.


In unusually strong criticism of an EU government, Reding said Paris had broken EU laws on the free movement of people in sending about 8 000 migrants back to Romania and Bulgaria this year, part of a crackdown on crime by President Nicolas Sarkozy.

Human rights groups, some ministers in Sarkozy’s government and the Catholic Church have widely condemned the expulsions, saying they are part of efforts by Sarkozy to boost his flagging popularity at a time of unpopular budget cuts.

Reding said she intended to move as quickly as possible to bring proceedings against France, saying steps could be taken within weeks if the Commission was agreed.

“I intend to recommend to President [Jose Manuel] Barroso fast-track infringement proceedings so that we lose no time,” she said.

If France is found to have broken the law it could face fines but would also sustain “a serious loss of prestige”, sources in the Commission said. — Reuters

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

The case against Floyd Shivambu

The flow of money from VBS Bank would seem to suggest that the EFF’s second-in-command was an ultimate beneficiary of proceeds of a crime

Cabinet reshuffle rumours: Unlikely to happen any time soon, but…

Persistent rumours of a cabinet reshuffle may be jumping the gun, but they do reflect the political realignment taking place within the ANC

Gauteng responds to grave concern

The news of Gauteng’s grave site preparations raised alarm about the expected number of Covid-19-related deaths in the province

Nigeria’s anti-corruption boss arrested for corruption

Ibrahim Magu’s arrest by the secret police was a surprise — but also not surprising
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday