Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

UKZN privatisation dispute rolls on

Students incensed by apparent privatisation plans at the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) were due to continue protests on Thursday and Friday.

They say a council meeting on Friday will discuss plans to put UKZN residences in the hands of a private company.

The Mail & Guardian reported last week that rumours of privatisation and inevitable future increases in residence costs ignited student protests that severely disrupted lectures though the week. Classes resumed this week, but students told the M&G they have no intention of letting the matter rest.

University management continues to deny that privatisation is an option to increase the amount of on-campus accommodation for students.

The dispute centres on what exactly was decided at two meetings of the council’s finance committee in August. UKZN management and some members of the central SRC say privatisation was discussed there but rejected. The South African Students Congress (Sasco), the ANC Youth League and the Young Communist League say they have proof that minutes of those meeting do not reflect what was actually decided and what therefore a meeting of the full council is still to consider.

Since last week’s report, the M&G has obtained from UKZN management a short extract of “draft and unconfirmed” minutes of the council finance meetings on August 16 and 20.

These summarise a presentation by the university’s wholly owned company UKZN Innovation, which the minutes say would “develop a Housing Company”. This company would collect residence fees, raise funds, design and develop rooms and be responsible for infrastructure.

Sandile Phakathi, Sasco’s KwaZulu-Natal chairperson, said no students or staff would be involved in setting fees. “What this boils down to is privatisation,” he told the M&G.

“Like any other private company those people will determine their own accommodation fees,” Phakathi said. Sasco was planning to picket outside the council chamber meeting on Friday.

On Monday council chairman Mac Mia issued a statement saying that documents deriving from the August finance committee meeting were “not on the agenda” for this Friday’s council meeting.

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

David Macfarlane
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Canna-business deal for Ingonyama Trust land

Foreign investment has been lined up for a joint venture with the Ingonyama Trust Board, which administers tribal land for the Zulu monarch

NPA ‘refuses’ to prosecute Oscar Mabuyane

The Hawks have accused the NPA of ‘dragging its feet’ despite voluminous evidence against the Eastern Cape premier

More top stories

ANC Durban election candidate shot dead while on door-to-door campaign

One other man was shot dead and two others were rushed to hospital with gunshot wounds

Rule of law drops globally, including in South Africa

Security and corruption prevents the country from ranking higher on the World Justice Project Rule of Law Index for 2021

Slice of life: ‘I can read nine or 10 books...

David van der Westhuizen, a street bookseller based at the KwaZulu-Natal Society of the Arts Gallery in Durban, tells Paddy Harper how he survives unemployment

South Africa opens up vaccinations for 12 to 17 year-olds

Vaccinology researcher Professor Shabir Madhi said young people were being vaccinated to reduce the number of people who could transmit the virus and the focus should instead be on people over the age of 50
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×