Ministers clear the air on Medunsa

The ministers of health and higher education held an urgent press briefing on Thursday afternoon to explain utterances reportedly made by ANC Youth League president Julius Malema regarding the merger between the former Medical University of Southern Africa (Medunsa) and the University of the North the day before.

Ministers Aaron Motsoaledi and Blade Nzimande held the briefing during the South African Democratic Teachers’ Union’s (Sadtu) 7th national congress in Boksburg.

It followed the Sowetan‘s report on Thursday that Malema had said the merger involving Medunsa that produced the University of Limpopo was a failure.

According to the Sowetan, Malema had said during an address at the University of Limpopo on Wednesday that:

  • The government should settled on the merger and should rather have strengthened Medunsa so that it continued to produce good doctors ; and
  • Students must be better supported so they have the will to succeed.


In a joint statement the two departments said the ANC and government have involved the University of Limpopo for several years in discussions because of concerns about the perceived negative result of the merger on the training of health professionals.

Top ANC officials led by the Deputy President, Kgalema Motlanthe, were briefed on the matter by the two ministers last month, the statement said. Arising from these engagements, the departments of health and higher education and training had agreed that a task team comprising both departments would look into several concerns about Medunsa, including deriving from the merger.

“We have been communicating with the chairperson of council and the vice-chancellor of the University of Limpopo about our intention to appoint the task team. We will release the terms of reference for the work of the task team in the next few weeks,” read the statement.

The leadership of the ANC is fully aware of the progress that has been made on this matter, the statement said. “In the meantime, teaching and learning should proceed as normal at the campus. We are aiming to conclude the matter sooner rather than later to provide stability at the campus and in the health professions sector.”

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Medical aids blame external costs as fees increase beyond inflation

Medical aid is becoming more of a luxury for many South Africans, and it’s not about to get any better

Mahikeng compounds its mess

The ailing town that wasted R2-billion appoints a municipal manager rated ‘basic’, the lowest level

More top stories

FUL mulls legal options regarding Hlophe’s presence at interviews for...

Premier Alan Winde and the Cape Bar Council asked that the interviews be postponed pending a decision on Hlophe’s fate but the JSC declined

Cape Town fire update: Mop-up operations underway, students receive local...

Clean-up operations and repairs to infrastructure are being initiated, while the full extent of the damage wrought by the fire is still being assessed

Bird flu outbreak puts poultry industry in jeopardy

Avian flu has been confirmed on two farms in Gauteng and one in North West

Absa chief executive resigns due to differences with board on...

Activist group warns of a ‘culling trend’ affecting black professionals in top positions
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…