Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Anti-corruption task team to begin operating soon

The newly formed anti-corruption task team will start operating in the next few weeks, the head of the Special Investigating Unit, Willie Hofmeyr, said on Tuesday.

“A lot has been done in the past six months in terms of what needs to be done to fight corruption. The anti-corruption task team will start operating in the next few weeks,” Hofmeyr said.

He was speaking on the first of a three-day Association of Public Accounts Committees conference at Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre in Durban.

The anti-corruption task team, a sub-committee of the justice, crime prevention and security cluster, was formed in July to coordinate the work of law enforcement agencies and watchdog bodies.

The task team’s main duty was to perform high priority criminal investigations when more than R5-million in assets would be seized.

The theme of the conference was “Strengthening accountability through sharpening the tools of proactive oversight”.

Hinders service delivery
John Mentoor, the chief director of the Public Service Commission’s professional ethics programme, told delegates that corruption in the public sector hindered service delivery.

The total number of cases reported to the commission during the 2008/09 financial year was 1 204, he said.

“Of the cases reported, 260 were reported by national departments and 944 by provincial departments.”

The total cost emanating from unauthorised, irregular, wasteful expenditure and criminal conduct was R100-million during the 2008/09 financial year.

“During the same financial year, R9,9-million was recovered from the employees found guilty of financial misconduct,” said Mentoor.

He said the R91-million not recovered could have been used to uplift the plight of the poor.

Mentoor said R86-million had been recovered as a result of the investigation of cases reported via the national anti-corruption hotline managed by the Public Service Commission.

“There were 81 officials who were found guilty of misconduct. Fifteen of the 81 officials were suspended, 25 given final warnings, 29 dismissed and 12 resigned,” he said. — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Despite promises, medical interns at 2 Military Hospital remain unpaid

The interns were told they would receive salaries at the end of April, but that did not happen

Khoikhoi versus US giant Amazon

The controversial River Club development gets the go-ahead, but opponents say they are heading for court

More top stories

Ipid report clears cops of misconduct for use of water...

The Independent Police Investigative Directorate found no misconduct was committed by police who used a water cannon on a crowd outside the Sassa office in Bellville, Cape Town

Cape winter storm causes two deaths, 57 families evacuated

The winter storm that made landfall on Wednesday morning and caused widespread damage is not yet over

Case of municipal manager who got luxury gifts for depositing...

Tsakane Ngobeni received holidays, expensive watches and beauty treatments from another VBS Mutual Bank accused

Ramaphosa tells party caucus he was ‘shocked’ by Magashule’s suspension...

Magashule’s letter, in which he refused to step aside, said he would be appealing his suspension and added that he was “suspending” Ramaphosa. The letter is said to have angered the president.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×