Dozens killed in Indonesia tsunami

At least 108 people were killed and more than 500 missing on Tuesday, including a group of Australian surfers, after a tsunami triggered by a powerful earthquake hit a remote Indonesian island chain, destroying villages in its path.

The 7,7-magnitude earthquake struck in the Mentawai Islands area west of Sumatra late on Monday, generating waves as high as 3m that swept away 10 villages, officials said.

One group of Australian tourists reported that their boat with 15 people aboard was destroyed by a “wall of white water” crashing into a bay after the undersea quake and said some had to cling to trees to survive.

“We felt a bit of a shake underneath the boat … then within several minutes we heard an almighty roar,” said Rick Hallet, an Australian who operates a boat-chartering business in Sumatra.

“I immediately thought of a tsunami and looked out to sea and that’s when we saw the wall of white water coming at us,” he said.


Hendri Dori Satoko, a lawmaker in the Mentawai Islands, told MetroTV: “Our latest data from crisis centre showed that 108 people have been killed and 502 are still missing.”

Disaster Management Agency spokesperson Agolo Suparto added: “Ten villages have been swept away by the tsunami.”

Indonesia sits on the Pacific “Ring of Fire” and the archipelago is frequently struck by powerful earthquakes, including one of 7,6 magnitude in September last year in Padang that killed about 1 100 people.

The 2004 Asian tsunami — triggered by a 9,3-magnitude quake off Sumatra — killed at least 168 000 people in Indonesia alone.

Monday’s undersea quake hit at 9.42pm at a depth of 20,6km, 280km south of Padang, the US Geological Survey said. — AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Sassa disses disability grant applicants

Towards the end of level four of the lockdown, Sassa offices reopened for applications for old age pensions and childcare and foster care grants, but not for disability grants

Gauteng health MEC Bandile Masuku’s first rule: Don’t panic

As Gauteng braces for its Covid-19 peak, the province’s MEC for health, Bandile Masuku, is putting his training to the test as he leads efforts to tackle the impending public health crisis
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday