Sahara activists reject Moroccan king’s intervention

Western Saharan activists were dismissed on Sunday by Morocco’s King Mohammed VI. He accused Algeria of oppressing Saharwi refugees as obstructive ahead of UN-brokered talks on the territory.

A statement from the Polisario Front said the king’s comments “interfere with efforts to settle the conflict” just before the start on Monday of two days of talks near New York between Morocco and Polisario.

In a speech on Saturday, the king called for the international community to end what he said was the “repression” that refugees at a camp in Tindouf, south-west Algeria, were suffering at the hands of the Algerians.

Morocco considers the Saharwi refugees there — more than 160, 000 according to Polisari — to be Moroccan nationals.

The two sides along with officials from Algeria and Mauritania will meet in Greentree in the New York suburbs on Monday and Tuesday, the third time the two sides have met for such talks.

Background
Western Sahara was annexed by Morocco after Spanish settlers withdrew in 1975. The Polisario Front fought the Moroccan presence until the United Nations (UN) brokered a ceasefire in 1991.

Polisario Front, backed by Algeria, wants a UN-organised self-determination referendum. Morocco has so far rejected any proposal that goes beyond greater autonomy.

Following the talks, the two delegations, as well as UN envoy Christopher Ross, are expected to make statements.

Moroccan police dismantle Laayoune refugee camps
Meanwhile, Moroccan police were deployed in Western Sahara on Monday to dismantle a refugee camp set up in Laayoune, injuring several people during the operation, witnesses said.

“Law enforcement officers arrived around dawn using high-powered water cannon to clear the camp and several ambulances were seen taking the injured to hospitals,” said an AFP reporter on the scene.

Local officials said the operation was aimed at a group who had refused orders to leave the camp. — Sapa-AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Odd drop in how Covid-19 numbers grow

As the country hunkers down for a second week of lockdown, how reliable is the data available and will it enable a sound decision for whether South Africans can leave their homes on April 16?

Mail & Guardian needs your help

Our job is to help give you the information we all need to participate in building this country, while holding those in power to account. But now the power to help us keep doing that is in your hands

Press Releases

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders