Bok pleads innocence after failing dope test

South Africa’s Bjorn Basson has proclaimed his innocence after he and a teammate failed doping tests following the Springboks’ win over Ireland in Dublin, the Times newspaper said on Wednesday.

Basson and Chiliboy Ralepelle returned positive test samples for the banned stimulant methylhexaneamine following South Africa’s 23-21 win over Ireland on November 6.

The stimulant, which is commonly used as a nasal decongestant and may also feature in nutritional supplements, was added to the World Anti-Doping Agency’s list of banned substances last year.

“I don’t know how this drug got into my system. I have no idea at all. I was very shocked when I first heard. I couldn’t believe it was happening to me,” the newspaper quoted Basson as saying.

The pair were sent home and landed in South Africa on Tuesday after being provisionally suspended from all rugby, including this Saturday’s match against Scotland at Murrayfield and the November 27 encounter against England.

Basson said he was confident about the future because he knew he was innocent.

Sticking together
“The team knows it too. Chili and I will stick together through this,” he said.

Ralepelle sent the newspaper an SMS that said, “No worries God is in control.”

Six Nations Rugby — which administers the November internationals — informed the South African Rugby Union of the positive tests late on Sunday.

The players were randomly drawn for testing by anti-doping officials following the Test at Lansdowne Road.

South African Rugby Players Association CEO Piet Heymans, who was handed the responsibility of picking a legal team to represent the pair, said the players had given the go-ahead for their “B” samples to be tested, according to Business Day newspaper.

“I have spoken to the players and their legal team and there was consensus that their B samples should be tested, so we have arranged for that to be done,” Heymans said.

“We are not certain how long it will take, but we suspect it would happen in the next three to four days. But a formal investigation is under way.” – AFP

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

South Africa has been junked

Treasury says the credit ratings downgrade “could not have come at a worse time”, as country enters a 21-day Covid-19 lockdown with little money saved up

Mail & Guardian needs your help

Our job is to help give you the information we all need to participate in building this country, while holding those in power to account. But now the power to help us keep doing that is in your hands

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories