Questions over handling of Jules High rape case

Legal experts were surprised to find that the latest news about the in camera hearing of the 15-year-old Jules High School girl who was allegedly gang-raped was leaked to the press.

The Mail & Guardian initially ran a news agency article reporting that the girl involved in the case had said on Thursday that the sex was consensual.

Upon further reporting by the M&G, it was discovered that the information was confidential.

On Thursday evening, the Star reported that the teenager who first accused two boys of raping her while she was under the influence of drugs had dropped her claim. According to IOL, the girl now says that the sex was consensual.

Earlier this week it was reported that national director of public prosecutions Advocate Menzi Simelane had decided to charge all three parties involved in the matter with statutory rape. This after a prosecution team dismissed the girl’s rape claim and recommended statutory rape charges against the three, according to The Star.


But Dr Jacqui Gallinetti, a children’s rights expert from the University of the Western Cape (UWC), regarded the news with skepticism. She said that other than the girl and her parents, only the magistrate, prosecutor, probation officer and a legal representative should have been present at her hearing.

According to Gallinetti, as this was still a preliminary enquiry, it was confidential.”If someone came out and said [that the girl had dropped her claim], it would be a breach of court protocol. It’s highly unlikely that it came from the magistrate,” she said.

Protecting the child
Busi Motshana, of the Tshwaranang Legal Advocacy Centre, agreed. “The first question is how [the media] got hold of this information. There was no confidentiality. Were media people allowed into the court and if not, how did that information get out? To me it’s not protecting the child,” she said.

The information appears to have been leaked to the media through an anonymous source close to the matter.

Last week Media Monitoring Africa (MMA) raised concerns about the way the story had been dealt with in the media.

“At a very basic level there have been a number of discrepancies in how the monitored media more broadly has reported this story — MMA calls on all media to ensure that all reports on this matter are reported in such a manner that the best interests of the children involved are respected,” it said in a statement post on the MMA website.

Rape or consensual sex?
In addition to the problematic handling of the case by the media, it has also been clumsily handled by the justice system.

Legal experts who the M&G spoke to said that without knowing the details of the case, it would be difficult to say whether the sex had been consensual or not. They also could not comment on whether the girl may have been pressured into dropping her initial rape claim.

However, Samantha Waterhouse, parliamentary programme coordinator at UWC’s Community Law Centre, pointed out that there is only a 7% conviction rate for rape in South Africa.

“[This] tells you a lot about how reluctant we are as a society to prosecute and convict for rape,” she said. In addition, Waterhouse also said that adolescents, who are not usually sympathetic victims, are less likely to be believed than any other group in society.

If the girl had maintained her rape claim, she would have been called on to give evidence during a trial. If she has indeed dropped her claim and is to be charged with statutory rape alongside the two boys, as has been reported, the trio will be diverted away from the criminal justice system into a tailor-made intervention programme that focuses on life skills.

Problematic Sexual Offences Act
The Jules High case has brought deficiencies in the Sexual Offences Act into sharp relief. A section of the Sexual Offences Act makes consensual sex between children under the age of 16 illegal.

Waterhouse said she believes section 15 of the Sexual Offences Act, which treats consenting sexual acts between children as criminal, should be reviewed. According to Waterhouse, a children’s rights group is currently challenging section 15 of the Act.

Consensual sex among minors is “not a criminal offence, it’s a social offence,” she said.

Gallinetti agreed, saying “One also has to bear in mind that people in South Africa are innocent until proven guilty. The boys were vilified as violent rapists when they were involved in possibly consensual experimentation that could have been dealt with sensitively, not splashed over front pages and talk shows.”

“We have to ask, if there had not been as much hype, would the NDPP [National Directorate of Public Prosecutions] be prosecuting these children?”

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Riah Phiyega: Failure and dashed hopes

South Africans had high hopes when Riah Phiyega stepped into office as national police commissioner last year. Those hopes, it seems, were misplaced.

Mid-term budget speech 2013: Gordhan cuts the fat

Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan has announced sweeping cuts to the pricey perks enjoyed by civil servants.

Mexico is no mentor for SA press, Mr President

President Jacob Zuma held up Mexico as an example of the reporting South African news organisations should strive for. But what does that mean?

Tony Yengeni: Struggle veteran to flawed politician

Despite his flagging influence, Tony Yengeni remains a public persona that people love to hate.

Ramaphosa-Mugabe tension ‘won’t hamper co-operation’

Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe once called Cyril Ramaphosa 'a white man in a black man's skin'

Melinda Gates on family planning

The M&G caught up with Melinda Gates while she visited Lilongwe, Malawi to see how a family planning campaign in the country was going.
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Fake trafficking news targets migrants

Exaggerated reports on social media of human trafficking syndicates snatching people in broad daylight legitimate xenophobia while deflecting from the real problems in society

It’s not a ‘second wave’: Covid resurges because safety measures...

A simple model shows how complacency in South Africa will cause the number of infections to go on an upward trend again

How US foreign policy under Donald Trump has affected Africa

Lesotho has been used as a microcosm in this article to reflect how the foreign policy has affected Africa

Trouble brewing for Kenya’s coffee growers

Kenyan farmers say theft of their crop is endemic – and they suspect collusion
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday