Speakers don’t show at youth festival

Several prominent speakers failed to show up on Tuesday at the controversial World Youth Festival in Pretoria, with organisers saying none of them had confirmed their attendance.

According to a programme distributed at the start of the event on Monday, African National Congress (ANC) veteran Winnie Madikizela Mandela, Arts and Culture Minister Fikile Mbalula, Human Settlements Minister Tokyo Sexwale and Defence Minister Lindiwe Sisulu were due to address thousands of young people from over 100 countries at various sessions on Wednesday.

However, the National Youth Development Agency’s (NYDA) Siyabonga Magadla said none of the speakers had confirmed their attendance and would not be present.

He however indicated the sessions, which included “The right to housing”, “The struggle for peace, sovereignty and solidarity against imperialism”, “Public, free and universal access to education, science, culture and information”, would continue as planned without the politicians.

At lunch youth from different countries waited in long queues to get food parcels in white tents pitched at the Pretoria Show Grounds. Some sat on benches or the grass enjoying their meals. They were told over the PA system that sessions would continue at “2pm sharp”.


Foreign journalists packed the humid media room, some writing stories while others checked email via the free internet connection. Officials had been trying to fix the electricity supply to the centre.

The 17th World Festival of Youth and Students kicked off at Pretoria’s Lucas Moripe Stadium on Monday amid much fanfare, loud music and flag waving. Artists performed, the military paraded and President Jacob Zuma delivered the opening address. ANC Youth League leader Julius Malema made an appearance, to the delight of delegates.

The festival, held under the theme Let’s Defeat Imperialism, was being hosted by the NYDA in partnership with the World Federation of Democratic Youth. It was scheduled to end on December 21.

A total of R69-million had been budgeted for the event. Of this amount R40-million had come from the National Lotteries Board. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Eastern Cape schools to only open for grades 3, 6...

The province says the increase in Covid-19 cases has made it re-evaluate some decisions

Malawi celebrates independence day, but the first president left his...

The historical record shows that Malawi’s difficulties under Hastings Banda were evident at the very moment of the country’s founding

Gauteng health MEC Bandile Masuku’s first rule: Don’t panic

As Gauteng braces for its Covid-19 peak, the province’s MEC for health, Bandile Masuku, is putting his training to the test as he leads efforts to tackle the impending public health crisis
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday