UN: Nearly 250 dead in Côte d’Ivoire violence

At least 247 people have been killed in violence in Côte d’Ivoire since its disputed presidential election in late November, the United Nations human rights office said on Friday.

The death toll is up from 210 a week ago, UN human rights spokesperson Rupert Colville told a media briefing in Geneva.

The latest fatalities include four civilians and seven police killed in clashes in the Abidjan suburb of Abobo, he said.

The West African country, the world’s top cocoa producer, has been in crisis since a November 28 presidential election that both incumbent Laurent Gbagbo and rival Alassane Ouattara claim to have won. Ouattara was proclaimed the winner by the electoral commission and is widely regarded by foreign governments as having legitimately won the UN-certified poll.

The UN suspects many of the dead were killed by pro-Gbagbo security forces or allied militias in night-time raids on neighbourhoods such as Abobo that are seen as pro-Ouattara. Hundreds of other people may have been abducted and taken to secret detention centres, UN officials there say.


Forty-nine people are unaccounted for, including 20 reported as having disappeared in the past week, according to Colville.

Mass graves
UN officials have not had access to three alleged mass graves, including the latest one reported in Issia near the central town of Daloa, whose existence has not been confirmed, he said.

“It is alleged to be a mass grave with many bodies. That is all we know at this point,” Colville said. UN military observers, part of the peacekeeping force UN Operation in Côte d’Ivoire (Unoci), had been informed about it by telephone on Monday.

“Unoci military and police officers went on mission there the following day, the January 11, to investigate but they were unable to find the alleged grave and were unable to confirm whether it actually exists or not,” he said.

“They made two attempts to reach these earlier alleged mass graves. Both times they were not allowed by the [Gbagbo] security forces to get to the areas. But certainly with allegations that serious, you don’t give up on it,” he said.

Forces loyal to Gbagbo began attacking and burning UN vehicles in Côte d’Ivoire on Thursday as tensions escalated between Gbagbo and the world body. — Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Ghost fishing gear an ‘immortal menace’ in oceans

Lost and illegal tackle is threatening marine life and the lives of people making a living from the sea

The natural resource curse in Cabo Delgado

A humanitarian crisis looms as a violent insurgency continues to sweep over northern Mozambique. As many flee to safety, the question remains: who, or what, fuels the fire?

How US foreign policy under Donald Trump has affected Africa

Lesotho has been used as a microcosm in this article to reflect how the foreign policy has affected Africa

The October election season: Guinea, Tanzania and Cote D’Ivoire head to the polls

October is election month as three presidents seek another term in office. For two, it will be their third

We should not ignore Guinea’s constitutional coup

Citizens have for a year protested against the president seeking a third term in office despite a two-term limit. Many have been killed — and 90 more people died in this week’s crackdown

UN Libya rights probe stalled due to cashflow problems

The UN is currently going through a serious liquidity crisis because many countries have not paid their annual dues, and it is therefore unable to fulfil all its mandates
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Baby Awa: The miracle baby born on a boat fleeing...

More than 300 000 people in the north of the country have been displaced by militants who ransack villages and then burn them down.

Five suspects arrested in Senzo Meyiwa case

Police minister Bheki Cela announced on Monday that his team has arrested five suspects who were allegedly involved in the killing of former Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa.

EFF eyes municipalities ahead of 2021 local government elections

EFF leader Julius Malema says the party is preparing to govern in many municipalities from next year. It is also launching a programme to defend the rights of farm workers

WSU suspends classes and exams to avoid the spread of...

The university says it has to take the precautionary measures because 26 students have tested positive on its East London campus
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday