Wal-Mart bid for Massmart approved, boycott looms

South African retailer Massmart’s shareholders have accepted a takeover by United States group Wal-Mart, setting up the world’s largest retailer for a potential battle with local unions.

Massmart shareholders met on Monday to vote on the $2,3-billion offer. More than 97% of those present approved the deal, bringing total shareholder approval to nearly 79%, according to chairperson Mark Lamberti.

The Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu), South Africa’s largest labour federation, threatened the “mother of all boycotts” in opposition to the deal.

While Wal-Mart has long tussled with organised labour in the US, unions wield enormous power over South African politics and the economy.

“If the deal goes through, Cosatu will do what it does best. We will organise the mother of all boycotts against Massmart,” Cosatu’s first deputy president, Tyotyo James, told shareholders immediately before the vote.

Agreements
Wal-Mart has said it will honour Massmart’s agreements with unions and that South African management would be retained.

Analysts have said keeping local expertise would be critical to avoid a bruising fight with unions. Cosatu is in a governing alliance with the ruling ANC and wields enormous power.

“The union can muster support for the boycott but if it sustains the industrial action, I think that’s a little bit over the top,” Syd Vianello, analyst at Nedcor Securities.

“Massmart runs some of the cheapest stores so even if they can get some support in the beginning, I think common sense will prevail over some fundamental issues.”

The South African Commercial, Catering and Allied Workers Union, a Cosatu affiliate, has formed an “Anti-Wal-Mart Coalition” that plans to ask South Africa’s competition watchdog to block the deal or attach tough conditions.


The coalition wants to keep existing labour and supplier agreements, among other things. — Reuters

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Tiisetso Motsoeneng
Tiisetso Motsoeneng works from Johannesburg. Deputy Editor: Business Day in Johannesburg, home to Africa’s deepest capital market. Tiisetso Motsoeneng has over 285 followers on Twitter.
Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday