Lawyer: Derby-Lewis’s cancer is aggressive

Clive Derby-Lewis who is serving a life sentence for the murder of South African Communist Party leader Chris Hani learned on Friday that his prostate cancer was aggressive, his lawyer Marius Coertze said.

Dr Wayne van Niekerk from Gauteng Oncology said Derby-Lewis (75) would need to be hospitalised next month for seven weeks and would then need to attend daily radiotheraphy for 25 days, Coertze said.

“Now that Derby-Lewis is seriously ill, will the parole board not consider [his] release on health grounds? The leniency [showed to] Shabir Shaik is often quoted as an example of South Africa’s selective justice under the ANC, Communist Party alliance,” he said.

Derby-Lewis began treatment in October last year. He received his doctor’s oncology report on Friday, and it was also addressed to the Department of Correctional Services (DCS).

Besides prostate cancer, he is also undergoing treatment for skin cancer and a leg infection that turned gangrenous, apparently after he bumped it against an iron bed.


“It is ironic that this man who has been recommended for parole twice is still in jail due to the manipulations of the Communist Party and Advocate George Bizos [for the Hani family], who are doing all in their power to thwart the parole process by manipulating the system,” Coertze said.

“In terms of Chapter 2 of the Constitution’s Bill of Rights, ‘everyone is equal before the law’, and ‘everyone has the right to administrative action that is lawful, reasonable and procedurally fair’. Apparently not so in the case of Clive Derby-Lewis, as bitter experience has taught.”

Intercepted documents
In August 2007, the Correctional Supervision and Parole Board (CSPB) recommended that Derby-Lewis be granted parole.

Documentation was forwarded to DCS for consideration and recommendation before being sent to the correctional services minister.

“These documents were intercepted by Advocate Thozana Mqobi, who happened to be the then wife of erstwhile Department of Correction Services Minister Ngconde Balfour,” he said.

Coertze accused the DCS of lying under oath that they never received these court papers.

Derby-Lewis was convicted of conspiracy to murder and was initially sentenced to death for his role in Hani’s assassination, but it was changed to life imprisonment when the death penalty was outlawed in 1995.

He confessed to his role in the assassination to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

No parole yet
In December, the DCS said it would not parole Derby-Lewis by the end of that year as further information on his case was required.

“Offender, Derby-Lewis, was informed today of the minister’s decision based on the recommendation by the National Council for Correctional Services (NCCS) that he should not be placed on parole as yet,” the department said.

This was in terms of the Correctional Services Act, 1998, which states that the correctional services minister must make the final decision, based on a favourable recommendation by the NCCS.

The council wants further documents to be provided before making a final decision, and has recommended that he should again appear before them at their first meeting in scheduled for this year.

The department could not be immediately reached for comment on when this would take place. — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Ithala fails to act against board chairperson over PPE scandal

Morar asked to settle with the state and pay back the profit he made on an irregular tender

Vodacom swindled out of more than R24m worth of iPhones

A former employee allegedly ran an intricate scam to steal 8700 phones from the cellular giant

More top stories

Millers pay for duty-free wheat quota

The South African Revenue Services didn’t gazette the EU quota rates for about month, with no reasons given – and then suddenly published them

Austerity budget unpacked

The finance minister has said it’s not an austerity project. But the numbers and economists disagree

Will job creation schemes fix the unemployment crisis?

Experts say there is no evidence yet to show that government-funded employment schemes work long term

Will Cyril Ramaphosa have one or two terms?

The threat to the president’s rule comes not from the opposition, but from within the ANC
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…