Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

More deaths after violent Bahrain crackdown

Riot police stormed through a Manama square early on Thursday firing rubber bullets and tear gas in a violent crackdown on anti-government protesters that left four dead, witnesses and opposition said.

About 95 protesters were wounded when police launched the operation in the iconic Pearl Square without warning at around 3am (midnight GMT), sending protesters fleeing in panic, they said.

“They attacked the square, where hundreds of people were spending the night in tents,” said one witness, 37-year-old Fadel Ahmad.

At the city’s main Salmaniya hospital, medical staff were overwhelmed as ambulances and private cars were still ferrying in the injured more than three hours after the assault began.

Relatives of the victims gathered outside the hospital, angry and weeping.

During the operation, explosions and ambulance sirens could be heard a few hundred metres from the central square, which had been sealed off. Demonstrators fled pursued by security forces, as a helicopter flew overhead.

Intervention was required
By dawn on Thursday, police officers were clearing away the tents as acrid clouds of tear gas hung over the square.

Security forces were by mid-morning deployed across Manama, with armed police blocking roads leading to the square and setting up checkpoints in other streets, causing heavy traffic congestion.

Bahrain’s authorities, defying United States-led appeals for restraint, said they had no choice.

“The security forces evacuated Pearl Square … after having exhausted all chance of dialogue,” interior ministry spokesman General Tarek al-Hassan said, in a statement from the official news agency BNA.

“Some left the place of their own accord, while others refused to submit to the law, which required an intervention to disperse them,” he said.

‘Catastrophic repercussions’
Thousands of demonstrators inspired by uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt had been occupying the square since Tuesday, after police killed two young Shi’ite demonstrators during anti-government protests.

The leader of the main Shi’ite opposition condemned it as a “savage and unjustified attack against a peaceful assembly”.

Sheikh Ali Salman, head of the Islamic National Accord Association (INAA), told Agence France-Presse (AFP): “This attack was a mistaken decision which will have catastrophic repercussions on the stability of Bahrain.”

The INAA said riot police had opened fire without warning using rubber bullets.

Relatives named two of the dead as Mahmoud Makki Ali (22) and Ali Mansour Ahmad Khoder (52), though they did not indicate the circumstances of their deaths.

One of Khoder’s relatives said: “We refuse to receive the body until we get a written report on the main reasons behind his death.”

Six killed so far
A Member of Parliament (MP) from INAA, Ali al-Aswad told AFP that a third protester shot in his chest with a hollow-point bullet died of his wounds, naming him as Hussein Zaid.

He said another protester died after being shot in the head by police, adding that at least 95 people were injured, some seriously.

The latest deaths bring to six the number of demonstrators killed since the protests began on Monday in response to messages posted on Facebook.

Protesters had renamed Pearl Square as Tahrir (Liberation) Square, after the area in Cairo that became the focal point of an uprising that finally toppled strongman Hosni Mubarak last Friday after 18 days of nationwide protests.

On Wednesday, thousands of Bahrainis chanted for a “real constitutional monarchy” after the burial of the second protester.

But the atmosphere had been relaxed as thousands poured into Pearl Square after the funeral. The interior ministry had said it would allow demonstrators to stay in the square, “taking in consideration the feelings” of the people.

US watching closely
The INAA, the largest Shi’ite opposition bloc, said its 18 MPs would continue a boycott of the 40-member Parliament launched on Tuesday until steps were taken to establish a real constitutional monarchy.

They called for a prime minister elected by the people, not appointed by the king.

Before the latest clashes, the White House said on Wednesday it was watching the developments “very closely” and called on Bahrain’s rulers to allow peaceful anti-government protests.

Bahrain serves as headquarters for a pillar of American military power, the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet, which commands a rotating flotilla of vessels charged with safeguarding oil shipping lanes in the Gulf and countering Iran.

Former colonial power Britain had also called for restraint. — AFP

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Fears of violence persist a year after the murder of...

The court battle to stop coal mining in rural KwaZulu-Natal has heightened the sense of danger among environmental activists

Data shows EFF has lower negative sentiment online among voters...

The EFF has a stronger online presence than the ANC and Democratic Alliance

More top stories

Eastern Cape premier Mabuyane lives large amid province’s poverty

Oscar Mabuyane and MEC Babalo Madikizela allegedly used a portion of state funds for struggle icon Winnie Madikizela-Mandela’s commemoration for their own benefit

Constitutional court confirms warrantless searches in cordoned off areas unconstitutional

The law was challenged in response to raids in inner Johannesburg seemingly targeting illegal immigrants and the highest court has pronounced itself 10 days before an election in which then mayor Herman Mashaba has campaigned on an anti-foreigner ticket

A blunt Mantashe makes no promises during election campaigning

ANC chairperson Gwede Mantashe told people in Daveyton to stop expecting handouts from the government

Mbeki: Social compact the answer to promises made in ANC...

Former president Thabo Mbeki urged business and government and society to work together to tackle issues such as poverty, unemployment and poor services and infrastructure
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×