Wesselton protests suspended

The protest in the Mpumalanga township of Wesselton, near Ermelo, was suspended on Thursday, said a community leader.

“We feel the message has been sent out. National leaders now know that there is a crisis in Ermelo,” said Dumisani Mahaye.

A community meeting was scheduled for Monday, when the community expected a report back from senior leaders of the African National Congress (ANC).

“We are waiting for their response and we will take another action on Monday depending on the response from the leaders,” he said.

Mahaye said the community was not happy about the state of service delivery in the area, unemployment and the manner in which candidates for the forthcoming municipal elections were selected.

“In ward five, the community feels the screening process is not transparent because its preferred candidate is placed down on the list, automatically ruling him out of the race,” he said.

Residents wanted Bongani Phakatsi on the list, but the ANC in the region wanted as its candidate a man who had been identified only as Comrade Mpe.

The Msukalinga municipality said R350 000 damage to property was caused during the violent protests in the area earlier this week.

Spokesperson Surprise Ngcongo said the damaged property included traffic lights, road signs and access roads.

“The recent spate of violent protests had nothing to do with service delivery concerns. In fact, concerns raised by the angry protesters are political in nature,” he said.

Memorandum
He said the municipality had received a memorandum relating to the state of roads in the township six month ago, and was addressing the problem.

“The municipality has not received any written memorandum relating to the sombre political situation thus far. However, there are reports that the ANC in the Gert Sibande district is facilitating a dialogue with local councillors to find an amicable solution to the current impasse,” he said.

The situation in Wesselton was slowly return to normal on Thursday.

Taxis negotiated their way around heaps of rubble that protesters had used to block the road.

Schools remained deserted, with children roaming the streets.

“We did not go to schools because it was not safe,” said Sibusiso Ncgobo, who was playing soccer with friends in the street.

“Maybe on Friday we will be going to school,” he said.

There was a high police visibility in the area. — Sapa

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

What’s behind terrorist attacks on churches in Nigeria

The recent rise in incidents involving Christians should also be seen in the context of a general upturn in violence against all civilians – irrespective of their religious affiliation in Nigeria

New tool in fight against lion poaching

University of Illinois researchers develop innovative software to track confiscated lion body parts

Time to fix seed systems to tackle Africa’s hunger crisis

It is critical that efforts to put quality seeds in the hands of smallholder farmers, who represent 70% of Africa’s agricultural production, are accelerated.

Good reasons why we should fear China

Drew Forrest argues that concerns about the Asian giant stem from its miserable human rights record and not the fraudulent notion of ‘sinophobia’
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×