Mugabe threatens takeover of foreign firms

Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe on Wednesday threatened to boycott Western products before seizing companies from countries that have imposed sanctions against him and his allies.

“We can’t keep hosting more than 400 British firms including mines. Now it’s time we took measures,” Mugabe told a rally launch of a petition to call for the lifting of sanctions by the United States and the European Union.

“The indigenisation and empowerment drive should start with those companies. We must take over. We must not be ashamed. Now it’s time we took measures.

“Before we take over, we may boycott their products.”

The rally on the outskirts of the capital was attended by more than 10 000 people but Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai and government officials from his party, who co-govern the country in a fragile pact, did not attend the event.


First to sign
Mugabe was the first to sign the petition, which was also inked by security chiefs, war veterans and government officials.

“Conscious of the illegal and unilateral sanctions imposed by the West on my country, I therefore, do hereby append my signature to register my protest at the said illegal sanctions and to demand an immediate end to this form of aggression against my country and my people,” read the petition.

Some youth blew vuvuzelas while others perched on trees carrying banners and posters or wearing T-shirts denouncing the sanctions.

One poster titled “hit list” named BHP, Old Mutual, Rio (Tinto), Standard Bank and Barclays Bank as some of the targeted companies.

Another poster read “Recolonisation through sanctions. Zimbabwe says No to illegal sanctions. Sanctions do kill.”

Police patrolled the streets ahead of the rally while some buses ferried people from far-off districts.

The US and the EU sanctions include travel bans and asset freezes on Mugabe and members of his inner circle. Last month the EU removed 35 people from the list. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Covid-overflow hospital in ruins as SIU investigates

A high-level probe has begun into hundreds of millions of rand spent by the Gauteng health department to refurbish a hospital that is now seven months behind schedule – and lying empty

Q&A Sessions: ‘I should have fought harder for SA vaccine’...

Professor Salim Abdool Karim talks to Nicolene de Wee about his responsibility as head of the ministerial advisory committee tasked with guiding the government’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

More top stories

Children may benefit when parents share their digital gaming...

Digital games can provide forums for diverse groups of people to come together, which is especially important while our physical activities are restricted

‘No one took us seriously’: Black cops warned about racist...

Allegations of racism against the Capitol Police are nothing new: Over 250 Black cops have sued the department since 2001. Some of those former officers now say it’s no surprise white nationalists were able to storm the building

Pay-TV inquiry probes the Multichoice monopoly

Africa’s largest subscription television operator says it is under threat amid the emerging popularity of global platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime

​No apology or comfort as another Marikana mother dies without...

Nomawethu Ma’Bhengu Sompeta, whose funeral will be held this weekend, was unequivocal in calling out the government for its response to the Marikana massacre
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…