‘Ten years to rebuild’ quake-hit New Zealand city

It will take at least 10 years to rebuild Christchurch, officials said on Thursday, warning it would be months before they could even begin to reopen the quake-hit New Zealand city.

The timeline, outlining the scale of damage to the country’s second largest city, came as the death toll from last week’s devastating quake rose to 161, with expectations it will rise to more than 240.

Civil Defence head John Hamilton confirmed that officials now believed there were no survivors trapped beneath the mountains of rubble across the city.

The last person found alive was pulled from a pancaked office block on Wednesday last week, a day after the 6,3 magnitude quake.

“As time has gone on, the chance of finding someone alive has diminished and, sadly, there becomes a point where the response effort shifts in focus from rescue to body recovery. We have now reached that point,” Hamilton said.


New Zealand’s acting Economic Development Minister David Carter said it would take “more than 10 years” to rebuild Christchurch, the main gateway to the country’s South Island.

He said work would get under way quickly but “it’s a big project”.

‘Utterly, absolutely, totally committed’
Christchurch mayor Bob Parker said the central business district (CBD) would remain closed for months.

“You can see with the level of damage that we have in the CBD that it is going to be some months before it is going to be reopened,” he told a media briefing.

“However, in terms of putting a timeline on what that is, we just don’t have information at this stage.”

However, Parker said the city was determined it will host Rugby World Cup matches this year as scheduled.

Christchurch is to host five pool games and two quarter-finals in the Cup, which begins on September 9.

“Utterly, absolutely, totally committed to that,” he said, although the city’s rugby venue AMI Stadium will remain closed until at least March 15 while operators check the extent of damage there.

‘Realistic’
There is also a question mark over several inner-city hotels that are awaiting assessment by engineers.

“We have to be pragmatic and realistic and accommodation is one of the issues that is concerning us,” Parker said.

“AMI Stadium is going to be fine for the Rugby World Cup and we are determined to make it happen here in Christchurch.”

Police for the first time have released the names of two foreigners killed in the earthquake, they were Israelis Ofir Levy (22) and Gabi Ingel (23).

An Israeli search and rescue group organised by their families was refused entry to the security cordon surrounding the worst affected areas of the city.

Prime Minister John Key said that was because they were not United Nations-accredited and because it was felt there were enough rescue teams at work. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Unpacking the myths and misunderstandings in the Covid-19 vacuum

The basics of epidemiology will help explain why some of the believable but incorrect propositions about the pandemic are wrong.

On language, power and privilege in tertiary education

Advocates of retaining Afrikaans as a language of instruction are blind to their own prejudices

Invest in children to give them a better world

This entails putting them at the centre of national strategies, but doing it without high CO2 releases

Covid-19: Free the evidence

Governments need to provide the modelling and data informing the strategy to control the spread of the novel coronavirus

Lockdown or no lockdown: we face hard choices for complex times

There are no available options for containing the spread of Covid-19 that do not have serious economic costs. We need to listen to expertise, not ill-considered opinion

Eusebius McKaiser: Why Ramaphosa must act decisively against Ndabeni-Abrahams

The president needs South Africans on his side if the lockdown is to be extended. He must show leadership and censure the communications minister for breaking the regulations
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Mboweni plans to freeze public sector wage increases for the...

The mid-term budget policy statement delivered by the finance minister proposes cutting all non-interest spending by R300-billion.

SAA to receive R10.5-billion government bailout after all

Several struggling state-owned entities received extra funds after the medium term budget policy speech

Malawi court judges win global prize

Members of the small African country’s judiciary took a stand for democracy to international approval
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday