Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Troubled Haiti wins praise for calm election

Haiti won plaudits for holding a calm and relatively peaceful presidential run-off on Monday as partial results suggested carnival singer Michel Martelly could emerge the victor.

The United Nations, which deploys thousands of peacekeepers in the notoriously troubled Caribbean nation, where more than 220 000 people were killed in a January 2010 earthquake, offered particularly strong praise.

Now, the “primary task would be to oversee the reconstruction of the country after the tremendous tragedies that have befallen it in the past year”, said United Nations (UN) Secretary General Ban Ki-moon.

There had been fears Sunday’s run-off, delayed for months by bickering over a violence-plagued first round in November, would be overshadowed by the return from exile of charismatic ex-president Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

But Aristide honoured a commitment not to upset the delicate political situation and voting was largely peaceful in the Caribbean nation whose recent past has been scarred by dictatorship and upheaval.

Tally sheets read out on television and radio indicated Martelly was well ahead of his rival, former first lady Mirlande Manigat, in key urban areas including Petionville and the Cite Soleil slum in the capital.

“I think he has won the election. From everything that I’ve heard it looks like it may even be a landslide, at least in the urban areas,” said United States-based Haiti expert Robert Fatton.

‘A triumph of democracy’
The authorities said two people were killed in election-related incidents but that in most parts of the country, the elections had passed off peacefully.

France described the polls as “satisfactory” and urged candidates not to risk stirring up trouble by prejudging the results.

They “should respect this democratic process by abstaining from any unilateral proclamation based on partial results”, a spokesperson for French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe told reporters in Paris.

Known to fans by his former stage name Sweet Micky, the 50-year-old Martelly waged a slick campaign built on the promise he would dramatically transform Haiti’s corrupt politics.

The candidates are vying for the job of rebuilding a nation beset by problems, from endemic poverty and the aftermath of the 2010 quake to a cholera epidemic that has claimed almost 5 000 lives since mid-October.

Pre-election opinion polls showed Martelly enjoying a slim lead over the soft-spoken Manigat, a 70-year-old whose husband was briefly president in the 1980s before being ousted by a coup.

Provisional Electoral Council (CEP) president Gaillot Dorsinvil downplayed reports of irregularities, insisting they would have “no impact on the electoral process as a whole”.

“It was a triumph of democracy,” he said. “And the makers of this victory were the Haitian people.”

‘The day of change for Haiti’
Haiti expert Fatton worried about a low turnout but said concerns about the legitimacy of the new administration would evaporate if Martelly was to win convincingly.

“On the other hand if those initial results are incorrect and you have a very close election then I think we are in for a very turbulent period,” he warned.

Voting on Sunday at a school in the upscale neighbourhood of Petitionville, Martelly told a crowd of several hundred cheering supporters: “Today is the day of change, change for Haiti. The day when Haiti will escape its misery.”

The international community is watching closely as it has committed billions of dollars to help reconstruct Haiti, where hundreds of thousands of quake survivors are forced to eke out an existence in squalid camps.

Some camp residents said participation in the poll was a pointless exercise. “What for? Nobody helps us,” said Francine.

Others complained their identification cards needed for voting were lost in the quake and had not yet been replaced.

The problems, however, were minor compared to November when polling stations were trashed and the whole process deteriorated into a farce when most of the candidates called for a re-run even before the polls had closed.

At least five people were killed in December when days of rioting erupted at the news that Martelly had finished third behind ruling party candidate Jude Celestin and would not make the run-off.

After weeks of US-led pressure and a review by international monitors, Martelly was eventually reinstated at the expense of Celestin, who was seen as current President René Préval’s handpicked successor. — AFP

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

South Africa’s mothballed ‘supermall-ification’ sets strip malls up for success

Analysts agree that the country has enough malls and that, post-Covid, the convenience of local centres lure customers

Mabuza’s Russian jaunts and the slippery consequences of medical tourism

For more than five years the deputy president has remained steadfast in his right to travel abroad to receive medical treatment

More top stories

Deputy president Mabuza begs Tshwane voters: ‘Don’t abandon the ANC’

Angry Atteridgeville residents hurl insults at ‘dysfunctional’ ANC full of ‘corrupt individuals’ as Mabuza fails to placate them with party T-shirts and doeks

Taxi operators clash with cops over disputed Route B97 in...

Three suspects remain in custody following their arrest on charges of attempted murder and assault after eight taxis were impounded

SA teens, you’re next in the queue for a vaccine...

Teenagers between the ages of 12 and 17 will be able to register to receive their Covid-19 jab from 20 October. This group will be given only one dose of the Pfizer vaccine, for now

Former US secretary of state Colin Powell dies aged 84

The 84-year-old died as a result of complications from Covid-19
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×