Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Thousands of women protest over Saleh remarks

Thousands of Yemeni women protested in Sana’a and other cities on Saturday, enraged by President Ali Abdullah Saleh’s remarks it was against Islam for women to join men in the demonstrations aimed at toppling him.

The women, many clad in black Islamic dress with full-face veils, said their role in protests was religiously sound and called on the president to step down in line with nearly three months of demonstrations demanding his ouster.

“It seems that President Saleh failed in all his efforts to employ tribes and security to strike at those seeking his exit, and so he resorted to using religion, especially after he saw that thousands of women were taking part in protests,” said Samia al-Aghbari, a leader in the protest movement. Saleh, who has warned of civil war and the break-up of Yemen if he is forced out before organising an orderly transition, urged the opposition on Friday to reconsider their refusal to join talks to resolve the crisis in the fractious state.

But he also struck a defiant tone, calling the opposition liars and bandits, and appealing to religious sensitivities in the conservative Muslim country by criticising the mixing of unrelated men and women among Sana’a protesters.

About 5 000 women demonstrated against him in Sana’a on Saturday, with similar numbers in the industrial city of Taiz, south of the capital. The anti-Saleh protests have had the support of the main opposition coalition, which includes leftists but whose largest member is the Islamist party, Islah.

“Oh youth, the honour of women has been slandered,” the women chanted, referring to Saleh’s remarks.

Some women brought their young daughters to the protests, including one with her face painted with the image of the Yemeni flag encircled by a heart on her cheek and the word “Leave” scrawled on her forehead.

“If Saleh read the Qur’an he wouldn’t have made this accusation,” said one protester, who gave her name only as Majda. “We ask he be tried according to Islamic law.”

Saudi and Western allies of Yemen fear a prolonged stand-off could ignite clashes between rival military units and cause chaos that would benefit an active al-Qaeda wing operating in the poor, mountainous Arabian Peninsula country.

Violence in south
Gulf foreign ministers invited Saleh and his opponents to talks on a transfer of power, which diplomatic sources said had stalled in recent weeks over Saleh’s desire for immunity from prosecution for him and his family.

The Gulf plan announced last Sunday appeared to promise Saleh immunity, and he accepted it the next day. Saleh has offered elections this year, but says he should stay in power to oversee the change or hand over to what he calls “safe hands”.

Opposition leaders said on Saturday they would send a delegation headed by former foreign minister Mohammed Basindwa, now an opposition politician, to Saudi Arabia on Sunday to explain their stance on the Gulf-mediated talks proposal.

The opposition coalition previously refused to go to the Riyadh talks because it wanted to focus on forcing Saleh out within two weeks, and the Gulf proposal did not include a quick timetable for transition.

More than 116 protesters have been killed in clashes with security forces since late January, and there are fears the violence could escalate in the country, half of whose 23-million people own a gun.

In the southern port city of Aden, gunmen on Saturday tried to storm a police station and then battled with security forces for half an hour before being driven back by rooftop sniper fire, a local official said.

Officials said protesters in Aden tried to shut down traffic in the city in support of a strike call, but security patrols were removing makeshift roadblocks. Most shops were closed.

In the southern province of Abyan, where both al-Qaeda militants and southern separatists are active, a gunman on a motorcycle shot dead a soldier as he walked in the street, medical sources said. A local official blamed al-Qaeda.

Gunmen attacked a security patrol overnight in the southern province of Lahej, wounding two soldiers in an attack tentatively blamed on separatists, a local official said.

In Amran province north of Sana’a, gunmen attacked a prison late on Friday, killing three guards and freeing 20 death row inmates, a local official said.

He said authorities managed to recapture all but one prisoner — an Islamist convicted of shooting dead a member of the country’s tiny Jewish community in 2008.

Saleh, who has already lost control of several provinces, was struggling to quell a separatist rebellion in the south and cement a truce with Shi’ite Muslim rebels in the north even before the start of the protests, inspired by the toppling of the Tunisian and Egyptian presidents. – Reuters

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

DA’s egregious sexual harassment case finally begins

The party is accused of protecting a councillor, who’s also implicated in R1.2m graft

The ANC, DA and EFF ‘oblivious’ to climate crisis —...

The Climate Justice Charter Movement has critiqued the manifestos of the main parties contesting the local government elections and found them ‘shallow’

More top stories

Countries bear cross-border responsibility for harmful effects of climate change,...

The UN committee has been accused of ‘turning its back’ on the children who filed a groundbreaking legal complaint with it against five countries

Magashule files notice to have corruption charges dropped

Counsel for the suspended ANC secretary general tells court the former Free State premier falls outside category of who can be charged for corrupt activities

R1.5-billion in funding approved for riot-hit businesses

Agencies emphasise that speed is crucial to rescuing firms affected by July’s unrest

DA’s egregious sexual harassment case finally begins

The party is accused of protecting a councillor, who’s also implicated in R1.2m graft
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×