ICC accused of ‘exclusively’ targeting Africans

The International Criminal Court (ICC) employs a “double-standard” by “exclusively” targeting African leaders, a top African Union official said on Wednesday.

“We’ve been complaining … about the double standard,” AU commission president Jean Ping said, referring to the court in The Hague, which prosecutes individuals for genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes.

“The African Union is committed to fighting impunity, it’s in our charter,” Ping told reporters during a trip to Washington.

But when it comes to prosecuting suspects for war crimes, human rights violations and other atrocities at the ICC, the “people who are targeted there, all of them, are exclusively Africans,” he said.

The AU official complained that there are currently about 30 Africans facing trial in the international justice system.


“Why these double standards? We are questioning ourselves on that,” Ping said.

Among those facing prosecution in The Hague are six Kenyans suspected of playing a role in violence that claimed some 1 500 lives after the country’s disputed December 2007 presidential polls.

Earlier this month, the Kenyans appeared at a preliminary hearing at the court in the Netherlands, where they faced accusations including murder, deportation, rape, inhumane acts, persecution and torture. They have denied the crimes.

Ping said he was concerned by the timing of the prosecutions, which he insisted should not be given precedence over the need for security and stability in the region.

“In the continent, we have to solve problems concerning peace and security, justice, reconciliation — a certain number of things which we have to deal with,” he said.

“You cannot says that justice is above peace and security, or peace and security is above justice. We have to take all these questions in a holistic manner, otherwise you will create more problems than solving them.”

The ICC, the world’s only independent, permanent tribunal for war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity, can only prosecute if a state is unwilling or unable to do so. — AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday