New truce hope in Thai-Cambodia clash

Thai and Cambodian military commanders met for ceasefire talks on Thursday, but a deal to end the bloodiest fighting in decades remained unconfirmed.

As the death toll rose to 15 on the seventh day of fighting on the disputed border, the Cambodian defence minister suggested an agreement had been reached between army commanders at the disputed border.

“They agreed to a ceasefire and for soldiers to stay where they are,” Tea Banh told Agence France-Presse by telephone.

Thai military spokesperson Sunsern Kaewkumnerd said that while talks had taken place “no agreement has been reached”.

“Fighting has stopped now on both sides,” he added.


Both countries continue to blame each other for sparking the violence around two contested jungle temples, which has forced tens of thousands of civilians on both sides to flee their homes.

One Thai soldier died on Thursday morning, bringing the total number of the country’s troops killed since the fighting began last Friday to six, while eight have died on the Cambodian side.

Bangkok has said a Thai civilian has also been killed.

The fighting has prompted increasing diplomatic pressure on the neighbours to end hostilities.

A statement from European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton on Wednesday called the conflict “very worrying” and echoed calls made by the United Nations Security Council in February for a permanent ceasefire.

The US ambassador to Thailand, Kristie Kenney, on Thursday also urged a return to the negotiating table and said she hoped the Association of South-east Asian Nations (Asean) regional bloc would help discussions.

Talks
Talks aimed at ending the violence had been due to take place in Phnom Penh on Wednesday, but were called off by Thailand’s defence minister at the last minute.

The Thai-Cambodian border has never been fully demarcated, partly because it is littered with landmines left over from years of war in Cambodia.

On Tuesday the fighting briefly spread to the 900-year-old Preah Vihear temple, which has been the focus of strained relations between the neighbours since it was granted UN World Heritage status in 2008.

In February, 10 people were killed near the Preah Vihear temple, which is 150km east of the two other ancient temple complexes at the centre of the current clashes, prompting a UN appeal for a permanent ceasefire.

The neighbours agreed in late February to allow observers from Indonesia into the area near Preah Vihear. But the Thai military has since said the monitors are not welcome and they have not been deployed.

The World Court ruled in 1962 that the temple belonged to Cambodia, but both countries claim ownership of a 4,6 square kilometre surrounding area.

Cambodia has accused Thailand of using spy planes and poisonous gas in the recent fighting — an allegation denied by Bangkok. — AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Taxis and Covid-19: ‘The ideal doesn’t exist’

After months of complaining about the regulations imposed on the industry, taxi owners have been given a lifeline

Mask rules are not meant to ‘criminalise’ the public

Shop owners and taxi drivers can now refuse entry to people who defy mandatory mask-wearing regulations

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday