Egypt sectarian deaths slammed amid civil war fear

Egyptian media on Monday accused “anti-revolutionaries” of trying to trigger sectarian conflict, as a top cleric warned the country could be engulfed in civil war.

The government has vowed to use an “iron fist” to ensure national security after Saturday’s deadly clashes in Cairo, branded by Nobel peace laureate Mohamed ElBaradei as “religious extremism of the Middle Ages”.

“We are facing the anti-revolutionary groups who are convinced that any success of the revolution was an even greater threat to their interests and so are trying to fuel confessional conflict,” wrote the flagship Al-Ahram newspaper.

Fierce clashes broke out between Christians and Muslims in northwest Cairo’s working-class district of Imbaba where 12 people were killed, scores injured and a church set ablaze. Six Muslims and four Christians were among the dead, while two bodies were still unidentified.

The two groups clashed after Muslims attacked the Coptic church of Saint Mena in Imbaba to free a Christian woman they alleged was being held against her will because she wanted to convert to Islam.


Since the ouster of former president Hosni Mubarak, Egypt has been gripped by insecurity and sectarian unrest, amid — by the government’s admission — a “counter-revolution” by old regime diehards aimed at sowing chaos.

Ali Gomaa, Egypt’s grand mufti and chief interpreter of Islamic law, was quoted in main independent daily Al-Masri Al-Yom as warning of the potential for civil war, “because of outlaws who want to defy the authority of the state”.

Meanwhile Interior Minister Mansur al-Issawi denied reports that weapons had been stored in Saint Mena church.

Contrary rumours
“Contrary to rumours that there were weapons inside the church, it was the owner of a cafe near the church who fired a gun,” he told the government daily Al-Akhbar.

Security officials said police arrested the Muslim husband of the alleged convert, saying he had spread the word that his wife was being detained in a building next to the church.

The Salafists, a puritanical Islamist sect accused of being behind the Imbaba clashes, denied they had any role in the violence.

Prominent Salafi cleric in Cairo, Abdel Moneim al-Shahat, said the Imbaba clash “does not reflect the Salafist thought which prohibits the incitement of confessional conflict”.

Saturday’s violence also angered ElBaradei, a prominent figure in the 18-day uprising that toppled Mubarak, who called on Twitter for swift action against such “religious extremism and practices of the Middle Ages”.

The Coalition of the Youth of the Revolution, an umbrella movement for the groups that launched the revolt against Mubarak, said “the regrettable events at Imbaba are evidence of a catastrophic security failure” in Egypt, and criticised the military authorities for not having reacted in the absence of the police.

Meanwhile, 1 000 Copts continued their sit-in in front of the headquarters of the state television network Monday in protest at what they called the authorities’ “laxity” towards the attacks on Christians.

They briefly scuffled with soldiers outside the building after surrounding two Muslim men they said were armed with knives. The soldiers used tasers in the scuffle, witnesses said.

Protesters also threw stones at the building, shattering a window.

On Sunday the government warned it will use an “iron hand” to maintain security.

Authorities would “strike with an iron hand all those who seek to tamper with the nation’s security”, Justice Minister Abdel Aziz al-Gindi said after the cabinet held crisis talks on the violence.

Egypt’s military rulers said 190 people detained in connection with the clashes would face military trial.

In Brussels EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton urged Egypt “to bring those responsible for the violence to justice, before civilian courts”.

For months, Egypt has been experiencing a rise in sectarian tensions fuelled by claims that Christian women who converted to Islam were kidnapped and held in churches or monasteries.

Copts, who account for up to 10% of Egypt’s 80-million people overwhelmingly made up of Sunnis, complain of discrimination and have been the targets of sectarian attacks. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

The city wins — but Egypt loses

A novel inspired by Arab Spring activists is brutally honest about what happened — and what keeps happening

The shame of being a South African in the rest of Africa

Once upon a time, being a South African in the rest of Africa was a get-out-of-jail-free card. Now we are viewed with anger. And we deserve it

Egypt’s prosecutor fights dropping of Mubarak charges

Egypt's public prosecutor is appealing the dropping of a murder charge against ex-president Hosni Mubarak over the deaths of protesters.

Egypt court sentences Mubarak to three years for graft

Deposed Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak has been sentenced to three years in prison on corruption charges.

Ethnic conflict in Egypt leaves several dead

Clashes between the Bani Hilal group and Nubian villagers in Egypt have left at least 15 people dead, prompting police to send in reinforcements.

UNESCO to help restore Islamic museum in Cairo

Unesco has expressed shock and concern after seeing the destruction caused by a bomb blast at a Cairo-based museum dedicated to Islamic history.
Advertising

Subscribers only

Covid-19 surges in the Eastern Cape

With people queuing for services, no water, lax enforcement of mask rules and plenty of partying, the virus is flourishing once again, and a quarter of the growth is in the Eastern Cape

Ace prepares ANC branches for battle

ANC secretary general Ace Magashule is ignoring party policy on corruption-charged officials and taking his battle to branch level, where his ‘slate capture’ strategy is expected to leave Ramaphosa on the ropes

More top stories

Sudan’s government gambles over fuel-subsidy cuts — and people pay...

Economists question the manner in which the transitional government partially cut fuel subsidies

Traditional healers need new spaces

Proper facilities supported by well-researched cultural principles will go a long way to improving the image and perception of the practice of traditional medicine

Limpopo big-game farmer accused of constant harassment

A family’s struggle against alleged intimidation and failure to act by the authorities mirrors the daily challenges farm dwellers face

Did Botswana execute ‘poachers’ ?

The Botswana Defence Force’s anti-poaching unit has long been accused of a ‘shoot to kill’ policy. Over 20 years the unit has killed 30 Namibians and 22 Zimbabweans
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…