Warne faces complaint for IPL ‘abuse’

Australia’s Shane Warne was mired in fresh trouble on Thursday after a complaint was lodged with the Indian Premier League (IPL) about the bowling legend’s alleged abusive behaviour, reports said.

Warne, captain of the Rajasthan Royals IPL team, was involved in an angry bust-up with Sanjay Dixit, secretary of the Rajasthan state cricket association, following his team’s defeat at home to Bangalore on Wednesday.

The incident took place in full public view minutes after the post-match prize distribution ceremony at the Sawai Mansingh Stadium in Jaipur.

“Venue director Narendra Joshi has written to IPL’s chief operating officer Sunder Raman, alleging that Warne had publicly abused Dixit and demanded action against the Australian,” the Press Trust of India news agency said.

Warne was apparently upset over the playing surface that was selected for Rajasthan’s last two matches against Chennai and Bangalore, both of which the home side lost.

Dixit said Warne had been putting pressure on him to provide a “suitable” wicket for Rajasthan’s home matches.

After the defeat against Chennai on Monday, Warne had hinted at a conspiracy and questioned why the home side was asked to play on a different wicket than the one used in previous games.

The new wicket is quicker and appears to favour batsmen over the bowlers.

“The BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India) has already clarified that the pitch comes under the purview of the pitch committee and the curator,” Dixit was quoted as saying.

“So how could I have acceded to his demand? Warne’s behaviour was totally unjustified and I have asked for action against him,” Dixit added.

Two back-to-back defeats against Chennai and Bangalore have dented Rajasthan’s chance of advancing to the play-offs and shattered Warne’s dream of a second IPL title.

The leg-spin great, who had scripted an amazing Rajasthan triumph in the inaugural Twenty20 competition in 2008, is set to retire from all forms of the game after the current edition. — AFP

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Tension over who’s boss of courts

In a letter, Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng questions whether Justice Minister Ronald Lamola has acted constitutionally

SABC sued over ‘bad’ clip of Ramaphosa

A senior employee at the public broadcaster wants compensation for claims of ‘sabotage’

Soundtrack to a pandemic: Africa’s best coronavirus songs

Drawing on lessons from Ebola, African artists are using music to convey public health messaging. And they are doing it in style

In East Africa, the locusts are coming back for more

In February the devastating locust swarms were the biggest seen in East Africa for 70 years. Now they’re even bigger

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories