Serbia arrests war-crimes accused Ratko Mladic

Serbia announced the arrest of former Bosnian Serb military chief Ratko Mladic on Thursday, ending a 16-year manhunt for the general accused of masterminding Europe’s worst massacre since World War II.

President Boris Tadic confirmed reports that the 69-year-old had been detained by Serbian security forces, saying the capture would bolster Serbia’s “moral credibility in the world”.

“Today, early in the morning, we arrested Ratko Mladic,” the president told a press conference in the Serbian capital, Belgrade.

“The extradition process is under way,” he added, referring to the process to transfer Mladic to a United Nations tribunal in The Hague.

“Today we close one chapter, a chapter in our history, which brings us … one step closer to full reconciliation in the region.”

Mladic, the most wanted fugitive from the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY), faces charges of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes for his role in the Srebrenica massacre and the bloody siege of Sarajevo during the 1992 to 1995 conflict.

His arrest follows heavy pressure from the European Union, which has made clear that Serbia’s failure to capture Mladic was a major obstacle to its hopes of joining the 27-nation bloc.

Reacting to news of the arrest, EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said that Mladic must now be transferred to The Hague “without delay”.

Earlier in the day, it had emerged that the special prosecutor for the ICTY had again accused Belgrade of not doing enough to capture Mladic and the former Croatian Serb leader, Goran Hadzic.

Political and judicial saga
Bosnian Serb wartime political leader Radovan Karadzic, Mladic’s mentor, was captured in July 2008 and he is currently on trial at the ICTY’s headquarters in The Hague.

News of the arrest first emerged on Belgrade radio station B92, which said that a man known as Milorad Komadic, but who was in fact believed to be Mladic, had been taken into custody.

Mladic’s capture ends a tortuous political and judicial saga since he was first indicted by the ICTY for his leadership role in the Bosnian war as the former Yugoslavia fell apart.

The indictment against him specifically cites the establishment of camps and detention centres for Bosnian Muslims as part of a campaign of ethnic cleansing, as well as the July 1995 Srebrenica massacre and the 44-month siege of Sarajevo.

At Srebrenica, which had been under nominal UN protection, 8 000 Muslim men and boys were rounded up and massacred in Europe’s worst atrocity since World War II.

The UN indictment says Mladic was the operational mastermind behind the slaughter, the only episode during the bloody Bosnian war that was ruled a genocide by the court.

The two counts of genocide — the gravest of all war crimes — focus on an “ethnic cleansing” campaign to drive or terrorise Muslims out of Serb-dominated parts of Bosnia.

Untouchable status
Mladic was able to evade capture for almost 15 years since his indictment in 1995, notably thanks to a years-long lack of political will in Belgrade and his status to many Serbs as a war hero.

He lived almost openly in Belgrade until 2000 when former Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic was ousted from office. The ouster of his one-time mentor robbed Mladic of his untouchable status.

Even afterwards, though, Mladic hid under military protection, authorities in Serbia have admitted.

It meant that the Nato force in Bosnia, which once had 60 000 troops at its disposal, failed in nine years to arrest him, while its successor, a European force of 7 000, fared no better.

In the end the most effective pressure came from Serbia’s own aspirations to join the European Union.

In his press conference, Tadic stressed that the arrest had come about as “a result of the full cooperation with the Hague war-time tribunal”.

Since the ouster of Milosevic in 2000, 42 suspects have been handed over to the UN tribunal. — AFP

Staff Reporter
Guest Author
Advertisting

Workers fight job-creation ‘mess’

Former Ekurhuleni workers argued in court that a programme promising to equip them with skills simply acted as a labour broker for the municipality

Mabuza’s ‘distant relative’ scored big

Eskom’s woes are often because of boiler problems at its power plants. R50-billion has been set aside to fix them, but some of the contracts are going to questionable entities

ANC faction gunning for Gordhan

The ambush will take place at an NEC meeting about Eskom. But the real target is Cyril Ramaphosa

Despite tweet, Zuma keeps silent about providing his taxpayer information

The Public Protector has still not received confirmation from former president Jacob Zuma that she may access his tax records —...
Advertising

Press Releases

New-style star accretion bursts dazzle astronomers

Associate Professor James O Chibueze and Dr SP van den Heever are part of an international team of astronomers studying the G358-MM1 high-mass protostar.

2020 risk outlook: Use GRC to build resilience

GRC activities can be used profitably to develop an integrated risk picture and response, says ContinuitySA.

MTN voted best mobile network

An independent report found MTN to be the best mobile network in SA in the fourth quarter of 2019.

Is your tertiary institution is accredited?

Rosebank College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education, which is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training.

Is your tertiary institution accredited?

Rosebank College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education, which is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training.

VUT chancellor, Dr Xolani Mkhwanazi, dies

The university conferred the degree of Doctor of Science Honoris Causa on Dr Xolani Mkhwanazi for his outstanding leadership contributions to maths and science education development.

Innovate4AMR now in second year

SA's Team pill-Alert aims to tackle antimicrobial resistance by implementing their strategic intervention that ensures patients comply with treatment.

Medical students present solution in Geneva

Kapil Narain and Mohamed Hoosen Suleman were selected to present their strategic intervention to tackle antimicrobial resistance to an international panel of experts.