Rugby World Cup on track despite quake, says NZ

The Christchurch earthquake dented Rugby World Cup ticket sales but plans for the biggest event ever staged in New Zealand remained on track, the tournament chief said on Wednesday.

With 100 days to go until the rugby showcase, Rugby New Zealand 2011 chief executive Martin Snedden said the February 22 quake that killed 181 people had presented the biggest challenge facing tournament organisers.

All seven matches scheduled for Christchurch, including two quarterfinals, had to be moved after the devastating quake rendered the city’s stadium unplayable and shattered its infrastructure.

Organisers refunded 150 000 tickets sold for the Christchurch matches and gave the original purchasers the chance to buy them back.

Snedden said the take-up rate had been brisk for the two quarterfinals, which will now be played in Auckland, and a pool match between England and Argentina.

‘Harder prospect’
But he said reselling the remaining games originally earmarked for Christchurch, which includes fixtures such as Australia v Russia, had been “a harder prospect”.

Snedden said he hoped for a late surge in sales when the tickets went on sale to the general public on July 4 but admitted there were doubts the tournament could reach its overall target of 1,35-million ticket sales.

“Realistically, we’re probably not quite as confident as we were before the earthquake happened, but there’s a lot that can be done,” he told Radio New Zealand.

Snedden said overall preparations were on schedule, including construction of a new stadium in Dunedin and the refurbishment of Auckland’s Eden Park, where the final will be played.

He was still was confident the tournament would meet its target of NZ$268-million ($220-million) revenue from ticket sales, which would leave taxpayers and the New Zealand Rugby Union with a shared deficit of NZ$39-million. — AFP

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Western Cape Judge Mushtak Parker faces second misconduct complaint

The Cape Bar Council says his conduct is ‘unbecoming the holding of judicial office’

‘My biggest fear was getting the virus and dying in...

South African Wuhan evacuee speaks about his nine-week ordeal

Border walls don’t stop viruses, but a blanket amnesty might

Why South Africa should consider amnesty for undocumented migrants in the time of the coronavirus outbreak.

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories