Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Heavy fighting rocks Yemen

Flights to Sana’a’s airport were halted on Thursday, an aviation official told Agence France-Presse (AFP), as deadly fighting raged between armed tribesmen and security forces on the streets of the Yemeni capital.

“All flights have been diverted to Aden airport,” said the official who requested anonymity.

The closure came as heavy fighting gripped the al-Hasaba neighbourhood, 10km south of the airport, and amid reports that thousands of armed tribesmen were headed towards Sana’a to back their leader, Sheikh Sadiq al-Ahmar, in his battles with Yemen’s security forces.

Witnesses said heavy fighting raged through the night in al-Hasaba neighbourhood, the sheikh’s stronghold, in which at least 15 people were killed according to medics.

Among the victims was a seven-year-old girl, who died of her wounds after she was hit by a stray bullet, said a medical official at al-Jomhoreya Hospital in Sana’a.

The tribesmen heading for Sana’a clashed with security forces at a military post 15km north of Yemen’s capital, the sources said.

According to one tribal leader, the armed men “want to enter Sana’a to back their leader” al-Ahmar, who heads the powerful Hashid tribal federation.

Residents described the overnight clashes in al-Hasaba as the “most violent” of the past two days.

Running street battles on Wednesday killed 47 people, medics said on Thursday, updating a previous toll of 39.

Fighting in the capital broke out on Tuesday after a truce collapsed between security forces and tribesmen who have taken control of public buildings across the capital.

Support pledged
The truce was announced May 27, after a week of fierce clashes that erupted when embattled President Ali Abdullah Saleh warned of a civil war as he refused to sign a Gulf-brokered plan for him to give up office as demanded by pro-democracy protesters.

Al-Ahmar had in March pledged his support for protesters who have been demonstrating since January for the departure of Saleh, who has been in power since 1978.

Witnesses said thousands of people have fled Sana’a while many shops remained shut and there were long lines at petrol stations.

United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said on Wednesday Yemen’s conflict will not end unless Saleh and his government make way for the opposition to begin a political transition.

“We cannot expect this conflict to end unless President Saleh and his government move out of the way to permit the opposition and civil society to begin a transition to political and economic reform,” the chief US diplomat said.

And in a potential for a further escalation of violence in the Arabian Peninsula country, previously unarmed protesters have resorted to carrying weapons in the flashpoint city of Taez, where they clashed on Thursday with security forces, witnesses told AFP.

The witnesses said the clashes took place near the presidential palace and near a post held by the Republican Guard, an elite army unit loyal to the embattled Saleh and led by his son Ahmed.

No casualties were reported.

A crackdown on protesters in Taez since Sunday has left more than 50 people dead, according to the United Nations human rights office. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and receive a 40% discount on our annual rate..

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Standard Bank mulls over shareholder climate resolution ahead of AGM

Climate considerations are pressing Standard Bank shareholders to push for the recusal of those with fossil fuel ties.

NW Premier Mokgoro ‘meddles’ in contentious R1.5m HOD appointment

Provincial HOD hired despite implication in ‘jobs-for-pals’ probe involving former minister Faith Muthambi

More top stories

Sweeter local sales rescue sugar

The master plan to rescue the industry means that at least 80% of sugar consumption will come from South African farms and millers

Public works tables ‘solutions’ to botched Beitbridge border fence tender

Scopa ‘disappointed’ by slow pace and lack of consequences on Beitbridge irregularities.

ANC resolute over its step-aside decision: Duarte

The governing party has identified 40 members charged with serious crimes who will have to step aside

New Covid-19 variant in South Africa ‘of concern at a...

The Covid-19 B.1.617 variant, first detected in India, is now listed as one of concern, but the World Health Organisation says it does not doubt the efficacy of global vaccines
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×