Gaddafi’s rockets dent sense of security in Misrata

Rockets have landed in rebel-held Misrata for the first time in several weeks, signalling that the coastal city remains within range of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s artillery fire.

Although no one was hurt in the attack, it dampened the relative sense of security among Misrata’s residents, who had believed the siege on their city was broken after rebels drove out loyalist forces in mid-May.

“Everyone is worried. We don’t know where to go anymore. Only when I die will I be safe,” said Mohammed Mabrouk, who lives near one of two houses hit by the rockets. Two more landed in open areas.

Fighting has been largely on Misrata’s far western and eastern edges, where the rebel rag-tag army is sustaining heavier casualties by the day from the better equipped and better trained government forces.

Rebels have been trying to advance west toward the town of Zlitan, where Gaddafi’s soldiers are imposing a tight siege. Libyan television said on Wednesday that “dozens” of people were killed in Zlitan after Nato naval ships shelled the town.

The report could not be independently verified because foreign reporters have been prevented from entering Zlitan.

Nato only comments on its Libya operations the day after.

If the Libyan television report is confirmed, it could further complicate the mission of the Nato-led military alliance, whose credibility has been questioned after it admitted on Sunday killing civilians in a Tripoli air strike.

A rebel spokesperson called Mohammed told Reuters from Zlitan that Nato had been hitting loyalist military targets in the town on an almost daily basis. He said Gaddafi’s soldiers used their artillery positions in Zlitan to fire salvoes toward Misrata.

“We hear the sound of artillery fire every night,” he said.

Four rebel fighters were killed and 60 others were wounded in fighting with loyalist forces on Tuesday in Dafniya, which lies between Zlitan and Misrata. Eleven rebel fighters were killed there a day earlier.

Rebels have made slow progress since Nato countries joined their fight to overthrow Gaddafi in March but are now trying to inch towards Tripoli from Misrata, east of the capital, and from the Western Mountains region to its south-west.

The going is especially tough in Misrata.

“Gaddafi’s forces have moved forward about a kilometre,” Dr Mohammed Grigda said at the field hospital in Dafniya just outside Misrata. It was impossible to verify the information but a Reuters reporter in Dafniya saw that rebel mortar positions had edged back slightly.

US sanctions
Shelling by government forces positioned outside Misrata has been limited to neighbourhoods on the edge of the city. A child was killed and two others were wounded on Monday when a rocket exploded in a house near the port in the east.

In the Western Mountains, where the rebels made significant gains in recent weeks, Nato launched four air strikes on Tuesday against loyalist forces outside the town of Nalut near the border with Tunisia, a rebel spokesman there said. Gaddafi’s soldiers fired 20 rockets into the town, but no one was hurt.

Nato said it lost an unmanned helicopter drone over Libya on Tuesday but denied a Libyan state television report that it was a manned Apache aircraft.

“Nato confirms it has not lost any attack helicopter,” Nato military spokesperson Wing Commander Mike Bracken said in a statement. An “unmanned autonomous helicopter drone” had lost contact with its command centre, it said.

Gaddafi allies denounce the bombing campaign as a foreign attempt to force a change of government and seize the North African state’s oil. Nato states defend the operation as a UN-mandated mission to protect Libyan civilians.

Nato admitted on Sunday its strike destroyed a house in Tripoli. Libyan officials said nine civilians died. The Libyan government said on Monday that 19 people were killed in another air strike, raising more questions about the military mission.

Libyan officials say Nato forces have killed more than 700 civilians, but have not presented evidence of such large numbers of civilian deaths and Nato denies them.

In a further blow to Libya’s leaders, the United States on Tuesday blacklisted nine companies owned or controlled by Gaddafi’s government. The sanctions prohibit US transactions with the companies, including the Arab Turkish Bank, North Africa International Bank and North Africa Commercial Bank. – Reuters

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson works from London, England. Senior B2B Marketer @Metia and writer. Interested in marketing, TV, radio and social media. Views are my own. Matt Robinson has over 640 followers on Twitter.
Advertisting

Meet Doctor Fundile Nyati: South Africa’s own online medical mythbuster

The employee health and wellness specialist is using social media to combat misinformation about Covid-19

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Stay at home, Cyril said. But what about the homeless?

In Tshwane, forcing homeless people off the street resulted in chaos and the abuse of a vulnerable population. In Durban, a smooth, well-planned operation fared far better

Press Releases

Everyone’s talking about it. Even Kentucky

Earlier this year South African fried chicken fast-food chain, Chicken Licken®, launched a campaign for their wallet-friendly EasyBucks® meals, based on the idea of ‘Everyone’s talking about it.’

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world