Nadal prepares as the US hope to bulldoze Wimbledon

Rafael Nadal continues the defence of his Wimbledon title on Wednesday with a second-round match against Ryan Sweeting, one of a number of Americans hoping to seize the limelight on the third day of the grasscourt grand slam.

After Serena Williams’s tearful first-round victory on Tuesday, her fashionista sister Venus can put further verve into the previously flagging women’s game when she takes on Japan’s Kimiko Date-Krumm first up on Centre Court.

Spaniard Nadal follows with the unseeded Sweeting dreaming of pulling off one of the biggest shocks ever witnessed at the All England club.

“I played him earlier this year in Australia on Rod Laver and Indian Wells, I didn’t win the matches. I actually got beaten fairly badly,” Sweeting told Reuters.

“It wasn’t fun by any means but it was a great experience so hopefully I can go out there and give him more of a fight.”


All the talk in the build-up to the tournament revolved around the parlous state of American tennis but they are suddenly all the rage with Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish slated for the showcourts and looking in decent form.

The biggest cheers, though, will be reserved for British fourth seed Andy Murray who battles Germany’s Tobias Kamke on Court One after last year’s runner-up Tomas Berdych takes on Frenchman Julien Benneteau. — Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

Pandemic hobbles learners’ futures

South African schools have yet to open for the 2021 academic year and experts are sounding the alarm over lost learning time, especially in the crucial grades one and 12

More top stories

Zuma, Zondo play the waiting game

The former president says he will talk once the courts have ruled, but the head of the state capture inquiry appears resigned to letting the clock run out as the commission's deadline nears

Disinformation harms health and democracy

Conspiracy theorists abuse emotive topics to suck the air out of legitimate debate and further their own sinister agendas

Uganda: ‘I have never seen this much tear-gas in an...

Counting was slow across Uganda as a result of the internet shutdown, which affected some of the biometric machines used to validate voter registrations.

No way out for Thales in arms deal case, court...

The arms manufacturer has argued that there was no evidence to show that it was aware of hundreds of indirect payments to Jacob Zuma, but the court was not convinced.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…