Safa to fork out R5-million for Bafana name

The South African Football Association (Safa) will pay R5-million for the trademark to the national team’s nickname, Bafana Bafana.

After an 18-year battle with Stanton Woodrush — which owns the Bafana Bafana trademark for apparel, headwear and footwear — Safa announced on Friday it would buy the full rights to the name.

Safa, which had considered changing the team’s nickname, said it would pay the R5-million fee over a 12-month period.

The national football governing body entered into a joint venture company in 2005 with Stanton Woodrush — which bought the Bafana Bafana trademark in 1993 — called Safa Licensing and Management (Slam).

The football body owned 50.5% of Slam, which controlled the trademark, and Stanton Woodrush owner Wayne Smidt held the other 49.5%.

Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula had thrown his weight behind the idea to change the team’s nickname, a globally known trademark, rather than buy the rights.

Mbalula said the side needed a stronger name than Bafana Bafana, which means “the boys” in Zulu.

In March, Safa said a three-man panel — president Kirsten Nematandani, vice-president Danny Jordaan and Safa executive member Alpha Mchunu — would look in to a possible name change. — Sapa

Advertisting

EFF tackles apartheid legislation

While the ANC in Parliament found itself defending the presence of FW de Klerk at the State of the Nation address last week, the government was also — in court this time — defending an apartheid-era law

Steenhuisen takes the lead in DA race while Ntuli falters

‘If you want a guarantee buy a toaster. This is politics’
Advertising

Press Releases

Response to the report of the independent assessors

VUT welcomes the publishing of the report of the independent assessors to investigate concerns of poor governance, leadership, management, corruption and fraud at the university.

NWU student receives international award

Carol-Mari Schulz received the Bachelor of Health Sciences in Occupational Hygiene Top Achiever Award.

Academic programme resumes at all campuses

Lectures, practicals, seminars and tutorials will all resume today as per specific academic timetables.

Strategic social investments are a catalyst for social progress

Barloworld Mbewu enables beneficiaries to move away from dependence on grant funding

We all have a part to play to make South Africa work

Powering societal progress demands partnerships between all stakeholders

So you want to be a social entrepreneur?

Do the research first; it will save money and time later

Social entrepreneurship means business

Enterprises with a cause at their core might be exactly what our economy desperately needs

Looking inwards

Businesses are finding tangible ways to give back – but only because consumers demand it