Zuma to lunch with Monaco’s royal newlyweds

South African President Jacob Zuma will have lunch with newlyweds Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene of Monaco on Wednesday, the president’s office said on Tuesday.

The couple arrived in South Africa on Tuesday for the annual session of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), of which Albert is a member.

Zuma’s office said he would host the royal newlyweds for lunch in Durban, the eastern port city where the IOC is holding its annual general meeting to decide the host of the 2018 Winter Olympics.

“President Jacob Zuma will [on Wednesday] have lunch with His Serene Highness Prince Albert and Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene of Monaco at the presidential residence in Durban,” the presidency said.

Albert and Charlene, who married at the weekend, moved their wedding back by six days to be able to attend the IOC meeting.

Both are former Olympians — he a bobsleigh racer for Monaco, she a backstroke swimmer for South Africa.

The couple are planning a lavish dinner reception for 400 guests on Thursday night at the five-star Oyster Box Hotel in the resort town of Umhlanga, north of Durban. — Sapa-AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.


Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday