IRB warns New Zealand against World Cup rip-offs

International Rugby Board chief Mike Miller warned on Tuesday that price gouging during the Rugby World Cup threatened to sully New Zealand’s reputation with international tourists.

The September 9 to October 23 tournament will be the largest event ever staged in New Zealand, attracting about 85 000 overseas fans, but Miller said he was concerned about tourism operators looking to cash in.

“Some have thought ‘we can make a bit of a killing here and not worry about what’s in the future’,” he told Radio New Zealand.

“It’s not great for the image of the country.”

There have been reports of some New Zealand motels significantly inflating their prices during the event, including one in Auckland that is charging almost 10 times its normal room rate.

Miller said tourists would always pay premium prices during events such as the World Cup but it was disappointing some accommodation providers were pushing the limit.

‘You can’t stop them’
He said small operators were the worst culprits, with large hotel chains realising the damage that rip-off prices would inflict on New Zealand’s reputation.

“They understand that a lot of people are coming to New Zealand for the first time,” he told the New Zealand Herald.

“If they have a great time and feel they were getting decent value, they’ll come back again. If they don’t, they won’t.

Miller said the New Zealand government and tourism industry bodies appeared powerless to take action.


“There’s no legislation. You can’t stop them,” he said. “The trade organisation really doesn’t have any sanctions against them except trying to get them to see it’s not in their interests or the country’s.

“For the most part things are fine, but there are some people taking advantage and it’s very disappointing.”

New Zealand Prime Minister John Key and Rugby NZ 2011 chief executive Martin Snedden also warned against exorbitant pricing last year. — AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Schools: Confusion rather than clarity and confidence reign

The way in which Angie Motshekga has handled the reopening of schools has caused many people to lose confidence in her

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday