White House rejects claim about Bin Laden raid film

Filmmakers producing a film about the US special forces raid that killed Osama bin Laden are getting help from the Pentagon, but the Obama administration dismissed concerns on Wednesday that classified information has been divulged.

The film, focusing on one of President Barack Obama’s key successes in office, is due to be released in October 2012, less than a month before the election in which the Democrat is seeking a second term.

Republican Peter King, chairperson of the House of Representatives Homeland Security Committee, called on Tuesday for an investigation into contacts between the administration and the filmmakers. King questioned whether special operations methods had been compromised.

“The claims are ridiculous,” White House spokesperson Jay Carney told a White House briefing.

“We do not discuss classified information. And I would hope that as we face the continued threat from terrorism, the House Committee on Homeland Security would have more important topics to discuss than a movie,” Carney added.


US Marine Corps Colonel Dave Lapan, a Pentagon spokesperson, said the Defence Department was cooperating with filmmaker Kathryn Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal as they work on a motion picture about the raid that killed Bin Laden.

The two, who collaborated on the Oscar-winning Iraq war movie The Hurt Locker, had been developing the Bin Laden film even before the al-Qaeda leader was killed in May in a raid on a compound Abbottabad, Pakistan.

‘American triumph’
In a statement, the pair said their movie covered a period of three different US administrations that searched for Bin Laden, including those of presidents Clinton and Bush.

“This was an American triumph, both heroic and non-partisan, and there is no basis to suggest that our film will represent this enormous victory otherwise,” Bigelow and Boal said in their joint statement.

The Pentagon has a two-person entertainment media office that assists makers of films, television shows, computer games and other entertainment media targeting mass audiences.

“Mostly when we’re contacted by filmmakers they’re looking for access to our equipment, our personnel and our installations. Technical advice is kind of a byproduct of that relationship,” said Phil Strub, who heads the office.

Reacting to a New York Times column saying the film was timed to give Obama a “home-stretch boost” in his re-election bid, King called for an investigation into the assertion that Bigelow had been given “top-level access to the most classified mission in history”.

On the Bigelow film, Lapan said the Defence Department was “providing assistance with script research, which is something we commonly do for established filmmakers”. Lapan said the Pentagon attempts to help filmmakers and authors but “we do not discuss classified information”.

Carney said information provided to the filmmakers “has been focused on the president’s role”.

“There is no difference in the information that we’ve given to anybody who’s working on this topic from what we gave to those of you in this room who worked on it in the days and weeks after the raid itself,” Carney told reporters. – Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African connection: How mercenaries aided Trump ally in...

The UN found that Trump ally Erik Prince violated the Libyan arms embargo. Here are the South Africans the report says helped him to do so

Q&A Sessions: African court ‘will be a tough job’ — Dumisa...

Lawyer, author and political activist Dumisa Ntsebeza talks to Nicolene de Wee about his appointment as judge of the African Court on Human and...

More top stories

In a bizarre twist VBS liquidators sue KPMG for R863mn

In filed court documents, the VBS liquidators are blaming auditing firm KPMG’s negligence for the alleged looting of the bank

Snip, snip: Mboweni eyes wage bill, other future spending cuts

Last year, the finance minister noted that increased government spending has failed to promote growth over the past decade

Budget: Mboweni pegs recovery hopes on vaccine efficacy, lower public...

The treasury forecasts 3.3% growth, but warns this will fall to 1.6% if the fledgeling vaccination programme fails to stem successive Covid waves

READ IT IN FULL: Mboweni’s 2021 budget speech

Read the finance minister's address on the budget for 2021
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…