Man City confirm Nasri deal is done

Manchester City have signed France midfielder Samir Nasri from Arsenal on a four-year contract, the Premier League leaders confirmed on Wednesday.

The club did not give financial details of the deal but local media reported the transfer fee for the player, who will wear the number 19 shirt, was around £25-million ($41-million).

“The 24-year-old, adept in both wide and central roles, arrives in time to merit consideration for Sunday’s game at White Hart Lane against Tottenham, his former club Arsenal’s fierce rivals,” City said in a statement on their website.

Television pictures showed Nasri signing autographs and posing for photographs with fans outside City’s stadium as manager Robert Mancini finally got the player he has been wanting to sign for much of the close season.

Mancini has spoken of his frustration at the time it has taken to bring Nasri to Manchester, saying he would have preferred to bring him in earlier so he could get to work with his team mates before the season started.

The Italian will have to work out how to fit Nasri into a team that already boasts another playmaker, David Silva, and attacking talent such as Sergio Aguero, Edin Dzeko, Carlos Tevez and Mario Balotelli.

Perfect start
With City gearing up for their first Champions League campaign when the group stage starts next month, Mancini has plenty of chances for squad rotation.

Mancini has hinted he has not quite finished shopping in this transfer window, which shuts at the end of August, having replied “I hope not” when asked last week whether Nasri would be the final player to arrive at the club.

City had already laid out around £50-million in this window on Argentina forward Aguero, French left-back Gael Clichy — also bought from Arsenal — and Montenegro defender Stefan Savic.

Since being taken over by the Abu Dhabi United Group in August 2008, City have spent an unprecedented amount for British soccer on buying top players.

In 2009, they bought Tevez, Gareth Barry and Emmanuel Adebayor. During the August 2010 transfer window their outlay was around £130-million on players such as Yaya Toure, Silva and Balotelli.

Under Mancini, who took over as manager in late 2009, City finished third in the Premier League last season, one place above Arsenal. City also won the FA Cup, their first major trophy in 35 years.

City have enjoyed a perfect start to the new Premier League season by winning both games to top the table on goal difference ahead of champions and neighbours Manchester United. — Reuters

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

In East Africa, the locusts are coming back for more

In February the devastating locust swarms were the biggest seen in East Africa for 70 years. Now they’re even bigger

Western Cape Judge Mushtak Parker faces second misconduct complaint

The Cape Bar Council says his conduct is ‘unbecoming the holding of judicial office’

‘My biggest fear was getting the virus and dying in...

South African Wuhan evacuee speaks about his nine-week ordeal

Border walls don’t stop viruses, but a blanket amnesty might

Why South Africa should consider amnesty for undocumented migrants in the time of the coronavirus outbreak.

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories