Rugby board confirms use of TV ref for kicks

The International Rugby Board says referee Wayne Barnes could have asked for television replays to check whether a penalty kick by James Hook, flagged away in Wales’ 17-16 loss to South Africa at the Rugby World Cup, was actually successful.

Linesmen ruled the 14th-minute attempt by Hook, which would have narrowed South Africa’s early lead in the Pool D match on Sunday to 7-6, passed outside the righthand upright. Wales fullback Hook was among many at the match or watching on television around the world who thought the kick was successful.

“I was running back because obviously I thought it was over,” Hook said. “If there was any doubt I would have stayed there and watched it go over.

“Wayne Barnes was in the same position as me. He obviously didn’t give it and I thought it was over so I thought that [to ask the television match official] would be the best thing to do. Obviously not.”

England’s Barnes accepted the decision of the linesmen, George Clancy of Ireland and Venny Munro of New Zealand, and did not call for the kick to be reviewed by the television match official.

The IRB said in a statement on Monday that “the referee may consult the assistant referees or the television match official if he is unsure as to whether a penalty kick, drop goal or conversion has been successful.”

“During the match in question, the match official team felt at the time that there was no need to consult the TMO following a Wales penalty kick as they were confident that the kick was not successful. Correct protocol was therefore followed.”

The IRB said it would make no further comment.

Wales coach Warren Gatland was not critical after the match of the linesmen’s decision.

“I thought that kick in the first half might have been pretty close,” he said. Springboks fullback Francois Steyn said at halftime in the tunnel that he thought it went over. — Sapa-AP


View our Rugby World Cup special report for the latest news, features, match reports and multimedia here.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Schools: Confusion rather than clarity and confidence reign

The way in which Angie Motshekga has handled the reopening of schools has caused many people to lose confidence in her

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday