Lions draw with Cheetahs

The Lions ran in two late tries to draw their Currie Cup match 25 all with the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein on Saturday.

The Cheetahs were well on their way to win the encounter with seven minutes left in the match but a yellow card to scrumhalf Tewis de Bruyn signalled the Lions’ fight-back.

Earlier, the Cheetahs scored first as flyhalf Johan Goosen knocked over a penalty conversion after four minutes of play.

Two minutes later the Lions replied as flanker Cobus Grobbelaar scored in the corner after his side spread the ball wide with Jantjies missing the conversion.

The Cheetahs slowly but surely opened the gap as flyhalf Johan Goosen through a number of penalties and also added another three points with a drop goal.

The pivot scored all of his side’s points in the first half giving the Cheetahs a seven point lead going into the halftime break.

The youngster, however, left the field on a stretcher shortly after the restart due to a massive collision with Lions fullback Jaco Taute.

Although his absence was a setback for the Cheetahs, it did not impede their scoring ability as replacement Sias Ebersohn succeeded with all of his attempts at goal.

Ten minutes into the second half they scored their first try of the match with scrumhalf Piet van Zyl diving over the line.

After numerous probing drives towards the try line, Van Zyl picked the ball up just short of goal, then threw a dummy, to score his five-pointer.

Ebersohn converted to give the Cheetahs a sizeable lead which they attempted to defend.

The Lions saw many of their chances go to waste as their handling let them down.

They made small strides in shortening the gap with Jantjies converting a penalty on the 60 minute mark.

The Bloemfontein side looked well on their way to securing a crucial victory but were dealt a big blow with seven minutes remaining in the encounter as replacement scrumhalf Tewis de Bruyn received a yellow card.

This proved to be their downfall as the Lions scored two tries within three minutes of each other.

Lions prop Jacobie Adriaanse scored the first, after he picked the ball up from a ruck, a metre from the try line to score an easy try, with Jantjies converting.

The Lions launched the ball was wide to flanker Warren Whiteley who made a dash for the line.

He drew in a defender then passed to winger Michael Killian who coasted through for another try.

Despite the massive pressure on his young shoulders, Jantjies converted to level the scores with a minute of play left in the match.—Sapa


Client Media Releases

UKZN student heads to FIFA Women's World Cup
NWU extraordinary professor discusses Global South